Efficient Mac/PC 2D

Started by
3 comments, last by 23yrold3yrold 19 years, 7 months ago
Hello all, I'm looking for information on the performance of the various 2D libs out there. I'm mostly interested in PC & Mac targets. I want to make software kind of like kids software (Freddy Fish, etc). This will be completely 2D (no OpenGL accelleration) and I've identified SDL and Allegro as the two main contenders. Has anyone got performance data on how well these perform? Especially stretch-blit and alpha performance. Any other tips or recommended libs would be appreciated! ZRandom
Advertisement
SDL doesn't have a built in StretchBlit function, but there is an image library that can do that for you.

I would suggest SDL, but mainly because I am in the middle of writing a tutorial series for it. See the site in my sig for details.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Either will work. Both are nice and cross platform, though I understand Allegro is a bit easier to use (no seperate image library needed to stretch blit, at least [wink]).

So yeah, either will do, I imagine. I know Allegro can do the stretch-blit and alpha channels. SDL probably can too. Performance differences will probably be negligible.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

I don't know about alegro, but with SDL, you don't have to change anything in your source to get it to compile on different platforms.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
I don't know about alegro, but with SDL, you don't have to change anything in your source to get it to compile on different platforms.

Same with Allegro. It's really just personal preference.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement