Second Monitor Not Working - Err.. Not Anymore!! [resolved]

Started by
25 comments, last by v0dKA 19 years, 7 months ago
For those of you who are just joining me, the problem has been solved! Just purchased XPERT PLAY 3000 PCI video card. Well, much to my disappointment, it doesn't work. It seemed in every way compatible with my computers, but it's not, and I'd like to know why. On my Windows NT (old old old), it claims that the driver installation was made for an earlier version of Windows NT, and tells me to contact the hardware manufacturer. Well, since the NT is not where I planned to install the video card anyways, I went for my Windows 98. On the Windows 98, something very not good happens. OK, here's the situation: The computer, as it was, was all hooked up and it worked quite nicely. I took the cover off, put in the video card, plugged in the monitor, turned it on. Well, the monitor that I did not even lay a finger on while installing the video card did not show anything. It had its red light on, saying it wasn't receiving any signal. Then the computer yelled at me, 3 beeps, first longer than the other beeps, as in "beeeeeep-beep-beep!". Then it proceded as normal, making its "working sounds", as if the only abnormal things were no display and the beeps. As far as I could tell, it turned on fine. So I had to take everything out again. When it was back to normal, I restarted, it suggested I start in safe mode (I didn't). Then it complained about the incorrect display settings, that I did not change beforehand. It's back to normal now. I really don't want to try this possessed video card on my XP - nearly destroyed my 98. Anyone know what's wrong here? Why is it incompatible? Who to blame - the video card... or the computer? or me? [Edited by - v0dKA on August 28, 2004 5:32:52 PM]
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
Advertisement
I had a similiar problem when i installed my geforce, but my pc manufactuer explained that i had to go into bios and enable the pci/agp video output, otherwise it would route to the onboard by default without trying the other display, try this if its your case, if not then im sorry :shrugs:
---------------------------------------------think outside the quadLogic GamesI realized I stay on the pc too long when my wireless mouse died after replacing the batteries...twice
Either what silverlogic said or you simply plugged it in poorly. Check your motherboard manual for what those beeps mean.

EDIT: This might get more responses in the lounge.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Is your primary an integrated card? If so, check your manual to see if your motherboard automatically disables it when it detects the presence of a PCI/AGP video card. If it does, you might be out of luck. I wonder if the beeps could mean it didn't detect a monitor. I would try the card in a different machine to test that it works appropriately.
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but - how do I know what kind of motherboard I have?
you should have some instructions when you bought the pc, if not, look on the mother board and it should say somewhere.

if the monitor plugs into the back, it could go directly into the integrated card, you shoud check and see if there is anywhere on the new card, that you could plug your monitor into
www.stickskate.com -> check it out, some gnarly stick skating movies
OK, I went to my copmuter's support website, entered in the model number, and here's what I got:

Quote:
All of these models have the GVC KR636 motherboard with the Intel 440EX chipset(66mhz bus).

Now, knowing this information, can anyone deduce what's going wrong?
the beeps im sure mean that something is missing/not plug in properly. Look up what the beeps mean. When the computer beeps its a bit like morse code and the pattern represents the error, if you look up the make of motherboard then you can find out what the beeps mean and that may help you.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Quote:Original post by grekster
the beeps im sure mean that something is missing/not plug in properly. Look up what the beeps mean. When the computer beeps its a bit like morse code and the pattern represents the error, if you look up the make of motherboard then you can find out what the beeps mean and that may help you.

Here is what they say 1 long followed by 2 short beeps mean:
Quote:Search for option ROMS;
checksum failure

A bit cryptic, isn't it?

EDIT:
Also, in response to everyone saying I didn't plug it in properly:
I plugged it in three times, each time following the directions very closely, so you can rule that out.
how about reading the instructions that came with the card? My GeForce suggested uninstalling the previous graphics cards drivers before installing it.

Otherwise how about making sure the power is off at the mains and everythings disconnected (not meaning to be insulting of course) but ATX motherboards are still powered when turned off unless they're unplugged or off at the wall socket too, so you could have fried the card when you put it in.

NT probably just needs the newer drivers, so you could download them, i guess that ones just because you've got service packs for NT and the drivers that come as standard aren't compatible anymore.

Other than that everyone elses advice sounds great :)

andy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement