Second Monitor Not Working - Err.. Not Anymore!! [resolved]

Started by
25 comments, last by v0dKA 19 years, 7 months ago
I turned off the power surge before doing anything.

I'll go look up information on my motherboard now...

EDIT:
Wow, google only returns 4 results for "GVC KR636".

Maybe someone can help me out knowing this:
Quote:
[Upgrading the video adapter]
The AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) version of the ATI 3D Rage Pro Turbo graphics processor and 4MB of video RAM is integrated on the motherboard. The video RAM is physically soldered to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded. However, AGP technology makes use of system memory, decreasing the need for upgrading the video memory.

AGP technology improves system performance by providing a high speed pathway between the PC's graphics controller and system memory. This pathway enables the graphics controller to execute texture maps directly from system memory rather than caching them in its limited local memory. It also helps speed the flow of decoded video from the CPU to the graphics controller.

For more information on AGP, visit the following site:

http://developer.intel.com/technology/agp/tutorial/

If you decide to replace the existing video card, you will need to purchase a PCI video card. The motherboard does not have an AGP expansion slot (the existing video processor is integrated with motherboard's AGP bus). The SONY Internet Group Technical Response Center CC5Y

Coming from this website:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Metro/2350/vaio.html
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
Advertisement
So you do have an integrated video card. You need to remove the drivers for the old one and disable it before you install the new one.

EDIT: Which potentially poses a problem now that I think about it. I'm not sure how you'd go about getting it to work with both video cards at once.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
So you do have an integrated video card. You need to remove the drivers for the old one and disable it before you install the new one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
If I uninstall and disable the old one, then put in the new one, for which the driver is not installed, wouldn't that result in... permanent loss of monitor support therefore resulting in a pretty box instead of a functionable computer? How will I see what I'm doing if I uninstall all monitor support?

EDIT:
OK, well, let's see... my dad warns me not to touch the newest computer (WinXP) if I can't make it work for the old computer. Now seeing that it's impossible on the old computer, will it work anyway on the new computer? Should I convince him that it will work? Ehh... you probably need the motherboard type too, don't you? I'll look that up...
Yuck sounds horrible, no AGP slot? well ok, have you tried going into the BIOS and taking a look at disabling the onboard graphics?

If you can then you might have to do that before you put the new card in. Then try putting the card in, if you still get the 3 beeps then you'll have to re-enable the onboard graphics of course but hopefully that will work.
no thats fine, windows will default to a very crude vga graphics driver that works with almost all graphics cards. So you'll get ot see everything in glorious 640x480 and 16 colors! (erm.. yay!?) then you can install the new drivers :)

andy
Quote:Original post by v0dKA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
If I uninstall and disable the old one, then put in the new one, for which the driver is not installed, wouldn't that result in... permanent loss of monitor support therefore resulting in a pretty box instead of a functionable computer? How will I see what I'm doing if I uninstall all monitor support?

What the second anonymous poster said. It'll be fine.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
no thats fine, windows will default to a very crude vga graphics driver that works with almost all graphics cards. So you'll get ot see everything in glorious 640x480 and 16 colors! (erm.. yay!?) then you can install the new drivers :)

andy

Well, would that situation still apply in my case? You see, I've told you that there are two cases, and they seem sort of strange to me:

CASE 1: No new video card installed, second monitor not hooked up.
RESULT OF CASE 1: First monitor works fine, acts as a regular single-monitor computer.

CASE 2: New video card inserted, second monitor hooked up to it. First monitor as it was, untouched.
RESULT OF CASE 2: Neither monitor receives ANY signal, computer does its beeeep-beep-beep. I have to pull the plug, and convert back to case 1. The first time it turns on after this conversion, it suggests I start in safe mode, and then complains about invalid settings, which I did not change during either conversion.

Now, as you can see, even though I didn't touch monitor #1 during installation of monitor #2, monitor #1 nevertheless stops functioning.

Therefore if I uninstall the old drivers, then convert to case 2... would monitor #1 magically start functioning, thus allowing me to install monitor #2?
um...*brain explodes*...

it might be that this isnt going to work, my advice was if you were replacing the graphics card entirely which you're not so i apologise for leading you in the wrong direction.

sorry but im also out of ideas :(

andy
Quote:Original post by v0dKA
Therefore if I uninstall the old drivers, then convert to case 2... would monitor #1 magically start functioning, thus allowing me to install monitor #2?

No. #2 will work. #1 will not. You need to uninstall your onboard video card in order to install the PCI one, and so the onboard video card will no longer supply a signal once it's disabled. You'd need to outputs from PCI cards (either two from the same one, or two different ones) in order to get 2 working.
How would monitor #2 work if its drivers are not installed? Just tell me I'm out of luck already! or am I?...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement