Sign in to follow this  

drawing iso tiles ...

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i've just started work on my first iso metric engine, using the tutorials on this site ... i just have 1 question, say i want to make a 32 x 15 tile, do most people create a sqaure tile that can enclose this diagonal tile and manualy create the diamond shape themselves withen the sqaure and the use a mask so the sqaure edges dont show ... or is it worth it to just create a square tile, making it easir to draw and manually write an algorithm for rotating the tile. thanks for any suggestions.

I'm pretty sure most people draw diamond tiles on to square image buffers and colorkey/alpha channel the part that isn't shown. This method is pretty light on computation.

Another way you can do it is make a square texture and render in 3D use D3D or OpenGL in an orthogonal projection. This probably will also be pretty fast with hardware.

You could probably do a 2-d rotate 45 degrees and scale the y by 0.5, but I don't how easy it would be to get that to work.

Well when I did a Isometric tile display I went through some easy steps.

1. I clipped some tiles from X-Com, this was only to get the pixel ratio and template.

2. cleaned up the image so that I had left was a clean iso-tile.

3. Next I created a square line around it and then painted with a saturated colour for transperancy.

This way I just ended up with drawing iso tiles with transparant where the square edges are left.

4. created a bunch of iso tiles that would blend in with those that surround it. That was pretty easy. I simple took a copy of the template, and overlayed the new tile to.

5. cleaned the outside.

6. clipped the inside into 4 square and placed them facing there connecting side.

7. The center lines arent clean so just fiddle with the colours abit, untill it looks right.

After this you end up with a tile that can be placed next to any of it's own type seemlessly.

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.