simulating infantry combat in multiplayer FPS

Started by
15 comments, last by bookah 19 years, 7 months ago
I like how the game Allegiance dealt with the question of player death.

Each player has a Kill Bonus(KB), which starts off at 0 and increases as the player kills other players. A player's KB affects the damage done to enemies, thereby making them a more effective fighter. When a player gets killed, their KB returns to 0 and they have to get it back up.

While Allegiance is a space-flight-sim, this same process can be applied to a FPS. As a player is successful in the game, they can be rewarded with slight stat upgrades. They can maybe be made a little faster, or be more accurate with weapons. The stat upgrade shouldnt be too significant, but just enough to make the player not want to lose it.

I think this would make most players think twice before running out into the open or doing something that most military people would deem as stupid.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Zild
All I ask is an end to the days of people bouncing all over the place, jumping up and down and ducking backwards and forwards as I saw so many times in Unreal Tournament

A world without trickjumping would suck :)

-lp
My only comment for people proposing death-banning.

Lets say you start the game with 10,000 players. Doing only one battle per day in which half of the players are killed will result in the following:

end of 1st day: 5000 players
end of 1st week: 78 players
end of 2nd week: 1 player

After 2 weeks, the game which you just spent months or years developing now only has one remaining player. That player will now more than likely kill himself for wasting 2 weeks playing a game with no future.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
I think that relies on the game lasting for 2 weeks... I don't know about you, but I've never played a multiplayer FPS for two weeks on one single game :p
-------------Hunted by allAided by noneUSS CarpathiaNCC-17499www.carpathia.tk - Starfleet renegades
Quote:Original post by Zild
I think that relies on the game lasting for 2 weeks... I don't know about you, but I've never played a multiplayer FPS for two weeks on one single game :p

I believe he is talking about ALL games. If a given player joins a game and dies, he is then banned from that server, and must find another. After a given amount of time all players will be banned from all servers. The time may be more than two weeks, but in any case, you can see a problem here.
Realism is overrated. A computer game will never be totally realistic, and striving for that goal is futile. I have tons of fun playing Day of Defeat (WWII Half-Life mod), and it is hardly realistic. It has enough "realism" to be fun, but it is not bogged down in a "I am going to punish you for playing my game because that is realistic" mentality.

The players [in DoD] that avoid death but are still able to capture flags and kill enemy troops are looked upon as highly skilled. Players that die constantly because they aren't careful with their life are regarded as newbies or poorly skilled. That difference, IMO, is what really makes the difference.

- Mike
I didn't mean that when you died you'd be banned from the server for ever. I meant that you'd be dead for the extent of a game which I imagined would last an average of about 30 minutes. And you wouldn't be kicked. You'd still be able to hang around to see which team won and the like. The server would store your IP so that you couldn't respawn by re-connecting to the server.

But having had a look at World War II Online http://www.wwiionline.com, I'm just waiting for someone to make a WWII fps mmorpg that has good graphics and a good interface. World War II Online has shown the potential that a game like that has but the graphics and interface are shocking. It needs to be made by a big company. And it would probably need lots of resource. Each server would probably have to be made up of several actual computers and would need a big fat internet connection. They could have 1 server on the east coast of US, 1 server on the west coast of the US, 1 in europe and 1 in oceania for us Australians and New Zealanders.

I think the ideal number of people per server would be about 1000. And I think the most important part of the game would be that you spawn in platoon sized groups so that you're in a team from the very start. You could go off by yourself but I think most ppl would stay with their platoon. You get a score that stays with your character when you logoff and the command positions are taken by the ppl with the highest score. And when you die you respawn at a base that is a fair distance from the front line so that your penalty for dieing is that you have to travel back to the frontline.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement