Sign in to follow this  

SDL Tutorial Site

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've just finished a very large Tetris tutorial that teaches SDL as well as 2D game programming. Along with the game programming, it demonstrates the use of SDL in creating a window, display graphics and text, and handling user input. My site also has an introductory tutorial for setting up SDL in Visual Studio and creating an SDL window. Please check it out and let me know what you think. I'll be adding a lot more tutorials on making 2D games with SDL soon. www.aaroncox.net/tutorials/ Thanks! -Aaron Cox

I'm glad to see more people are taking interest in teaching SDL.

Here is what I saw. There were some good things and then some not so good things.
Good:
*It covers SDL.
*It seems to be fairly complete.

Not so good:
*It uses the STL. Chances are if someone is new to SDL, they haven't been utilizing this particular feature of C++, and it is going to cause alot of confusuion.
*You have to scroll over to see all of the text. I'm running 1024 x 768. I should not have to scroll left and right.
*Personaly, I find the text hard to read. The color doesn't work for me so well. Try a lighter background and darker text. But this may just be me.
*When looking at the example source, I get lost. At the beginning, I see lots of empty functions and classes. I didn't read the whole thing, but I assume that those are filled in later, right?
*Also, breaking it into smaller sections would be a really good idea. Like start with the skeleton application on page 1, then go about filling in details on later pages.

I know this is alot of criticism, but I just want to help you out here. I hope I helped anyways. With a few changes, you might have a really sharp tutorial.

If you link to my site, i'll link to yours.

http://mavweb.mnsu.edu/longaj

Hey PnP Bios,

Thanks for the criticism. I wrote tutorials on STL as well as the implementations for the data structures I use so hopefully people will be willing to take the time and read those tutorials. If not, I'll see about doing things another way.

I'll definately be breaking down that Tetris tutorial soon, it got way too long.

Are you using Internet Explorer? When I view that tutorial in IE it seems fine. I just tried it with Mozilla and I did have to scroll over. I'll fix that ASAP.

A link to your site has been placed in my Favorite Sites section as well as at the introduction to my 2D tutorial series.

Thanks a lot!
-Aaron Cox

I have some other things I would like to discuss with you about your site. Please email me. Address is on my site.

[Edited by - PnP Bios on August 28, 2004 4:50:38 PM]

I've removed all reference to WinMain() in my tutorials. Thanks to everyone who made the suggestion. If you have anymore problems, please let me know! I'll be fixing the size problem later today or tomorrow. I made everything autosize but my preformatted text is still messing that up.

Thanks again
-Aaron Cox

I've updated the introductory SDL tutorial. It looks a lot better now and doesn't have any fixed width problems. Place have a look and tell me what you all think. The rest of the site will be changed soon.

-Aaron Cox

I think the problem that PnP Bios has with the font, and it being a little hard to read is the choice of font. I have the same problem, it is a little tough to read. I've noticed that the font is Verdana. Try using Arial, just like this message board uses. Everything else I'd have to say has already been said. It's a nice clean site overall.

Thanks for the post Scuba Steve. I'm changing the site right now and will definately put everything in Arial. The colors are also being changed, as well as the size, so hopefully my site will be way more readable.

Quote:
Original post by Scuba Steve
I've noticed that the font is Verdana. Try using Arial, just like this message board uses.

OT: This message board is using Verdana.

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.