Java based chat?

Started by
6 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 3 months ago
Well, I think it's a pretty good idea to have two separate chat rooms. People who do not have MIRC can still be able to participate in a chat room.

But I guess the GDN staff are a bunch of lackluster employees. What? No reply? What kind of shit is this?

Advertisement
I spent several hours on Friday looking for a Java-based chat. It's something we've wanted to do for a while. Ideally, I'd like one that connects to the other chatroom, and I haven't found one that can do that yet.

BTW, I'm moving this to the suggestions forum.

Didn't the (aging, retarded) GPMega Site had a java based chat every Saturday night before Sweet Oblivion started?
It sucks to be in college without ICQ or MIRC. Is there a way to implement a web based chat room?
Yeah, GPMega had one, but the technology is now owned by XOOM, which introduces some funky licensing things (like we'd have to give them access to our site if they wanted it), besides which, I couldn't get it to connect to our IRC server. There are a couple of others I want to check out, though, and if needs be, I can probably write a Java applet myself.
Afternet has a java applet for this on their
site. It also connects to their server by default
so it saves some setting up.

This can be a temporary solution, until a custom
applet is added to gdnet
Thanks for noticing that Photon. Back when I posted that last message there, I had checked and Afternet''s Java client was broken. Looks like they got a new one. I''ll link it up for now, and maybe see if we can get a copy of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement