Sign in to follow this  

[web] HTML Table Help

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm redesigning my website, which is currently located at http://www.clandcmc.com.The new design will have both the middle section and boxes on the sides expand downwards as more text is put into them. I'm doing this using nested tables and TR Repeat-y functions. The old site was coded for me by Imageready... this one is being coded entirely by myself. I have most of it completed, but there are some minor bugs on the right side. Anyone know how I can fix these by looking at the source? Previously there were HUGE bugs like this, but I fixed them with some valign="top" commands. The new site is located at http://www.clandcmc.com/newsite/testa.htm. Thanks for the help! Edit: Something odd to note is that the site looks perfect in Dreamweaver. It only messes up when viewed in IE.

Learn and use CSS.

Table are not mean to be used to make layout.

With CSS1 and CSS2, you'll be able to position your objets anywhere you want them, it's really a powerfull tool to work with.

Juste do a search on google, you should have a wealth of information avalaible.

Karl

Quote:
Original post by Sadness
Learn and use CSS.

Table are not mean to be used to make layout.

Before CSS tables were the only way to set a layout. That doesn't mean I support the use of tables, mainly for exactly the reasons the original poster is having.

As for the source, it still looks very ImageReady generated to me. ImageReady produces horrible HTML output that breaks if anything spills out of the layout, which is what you're getting now.

I've glanced over the source but it gave me a headache, so I quit. Here's some tips if you have to use tables for your layout.

- Ensure that each row has the same number of columns in a single table. This is a layout killer.
- If using columns for layouts such as your menu, ensure that you specify a fixed width with no padding. If you're using images like you are, they'll be padded by a few pixels by default and this will increase the size of the cell.
- Be careful about your use of the 100% width. If anything breaks in your layout, you'll have things spilling everywhere like you are seeing now.
- When using nested tables, cut them out one by one from the parent (eg: cut and paste into notepad or something) and preview your layout, this will let you see exactly which cell is causing the layout to break.
- Seriously consider trying out stylesheets [wink]

I did know people used it for layout. I even have done it myself when CSS was not well know. But, it's "hacking", and IMHO a waste of time now that we have CSS. CSS is meant to be the formatting tool, table is (and was meant) to be a tool to handle data. You probably know that, and I don't want to be rude, I've just said that to enlight the original poster, if he don't know that already, and maybe other people who didn't knowed that.

But your last argument say it all (- Seriously consider trying out stylesheets ) ;)

Sincerly

Karl.

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.