Sign in to follow this  

What the hell !? (EXCEPTION_FLT_INVALID_OPERATION)

This topic is 4852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm geting a EXCEPTION_FLT_INVALID_OPERATION exception. While comparing floats (exact compare):
if((f[lf-2]==a)&&(f[lf-1]==b)) { f[lf++]=c; return lf-3; }
// f is a array of floats. a,b are floats. lf is integer => nothing complex is going on.
and the instruction that triggers the exception:
fcomp dword ptr [ebp+0x0c]
No access violations anywhere (as seen in asm win - the target address is valid and exactly what i wanted to refer to). Intels 2.6GHz HT cpu. Google didn't help :( Any idea ? What could cause it ? And how to prevent it happening ?

Yeah, saw that - some sql related stuff - not what i was looking for.

Anyway - after some minutes looking at the exception ... i got a idea:

Not all of the values i'm comparing are actually initialized (se, there is some random crap there) - that IS ok for ME, but NOT for mpu. I bet i did hit a float with the special value that means => 'NOT A FLOAT' => can't compare.

So, for the record: Initialize your floats before using them even if it is unneeded at your side (yeah, belive or not - i DIDN'T need them all to be initialized. LOL).

------------------
Problem solved.

Comparing floats: LOL. Yeah, i do know what i'm doing ;)

A EXACT compare was needed. It is part of a code that was searching for a earlier instance of a float vector (no difference allowed). If not present, it gets added. So, '==' was what i needed.

Also, because not always did the vectors need to be initialized fully => garbage got into it. That is completly okay for me ... but ... you know the rest of the story. :)

This topic is 4852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.