Linux on Laptops

Started by
13 comments, last by ontheheap 19 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by ontheheap
From what I remember, the best way to go about having linux and windows on the same computer is to completely format the drive, create partitions, install windows, and then finally install linux.
I suppose I forgot to mention this. I went to look at the ntfsresize tool, and it looked awesome. I downloaded this ISO called System Rescue CD and used that (the command in something like run_qtparted) to resize winXP down to 5GB and used the remaining 35GBish (Dell keeps a 30MBish partition at the beginning and this program doesn't support moving ntfs, only resizing) for linux.

To get windows resizeable, I had to complete turn off swap (or whatever windows calls it), reboot (ug!), and then defrag.

worked great.
Quote:And definitely let me know about the wireless card. My school has wireless access points (mostly in the library, but there are other locations that work too).
Well, that's the thing: I bought mine seperately. If you have one of the dell ones, I'm sure NDIS wrapper works for it, and there may even be a native linux driver, I didn't look very hard at all.
Quote:Perhaps it was 7.0?
That actually sounds likely. And if slack7 was the last time you tried linux, you're in for a shock. :)
Advertisement
Judging by the smiley, I'm expecting a happy shock and not a bang-my-head-against-the-monitor shock...

Slack 10 arrived today, and the Dell site has my laptop listed as In Transit. So... any day now!!

Quote:
Well, that's the thing: I bought mine seperately. If you have one of the dell ones, I'm sure NDIS wrapper works for it, and there may even be a native linux driver, I didn't look very hard at all.

I was thinking of getting this one here -> I <3 sourceforge

I'll post some screen captures when I get it all up and running =)
Jsut installed my minipci intel pro2100 wireless card into my inspiron 1150 laptop.

I don't ahve an accesspoint handy to test the connection, but everything works sofar as I've been able to test.

Grabbed the driver, the binary-only firmware (well, i guess they all have binary firmware), and had to reconfigure my kernel, then it worked.

My kernel needed the hotplug firmware support, and the crypto support, with that arc4 crypto thing. Oh, and the wireless extensions stuff.

After doing that, (easier than it sounds) the driver compiled and installed without any problems.

I'll tell you if the test I run soon works...
Laptop arrived last night. I have slack and gnome running great (with sound too!). I've been spending the last 6 hours trying to connect to the net (still havent got it). This post is from windows (yea, I decided to dual boot). I'll edit this post when I can do it from slack...
LOL! I skipped class today because I've been up all night trying to configure my internet connection with linux. Well, one re-install, one bottle of mountain dew, and one mental breakdown later... duh duh duh...

CLICKY ^^^

- Stephen

Everything is working beautifully. I've started on the C for Linux book and I'm waiting for GTK+ programming book to come in the mail! This is so awesome!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement