DirectX or OpenGL

Started by
4 comments, last by JTippetts 19 years, 7 months ago
I have reached the dilemma that you vets probably hear from n00bs like me all the time: DirectX or OpenGL. I've done a little research, and from what I've read and heard from people, OpenGL is very good if your looking to port to other OSs, but DirectX has a lot more resources and is easier to write on an MS platform. Also, I've never heard of a AAA title made using OpenGL, so if I'm looking to get into the industry one day, would DirectX be a better choice?
Advertisement
Well, one AAA title using OpenGL would be DOOM3...

However, this is a very controversial topic and I believe that the DirectX forum FAQ has some good info. I will not say anything further for fear of starting a flame war. Just try both and see what you think.
- fyhuang [ site ]
This topic has been brought up before (many times resulting in flame wars) so you might want to try the Forum Search

Speed-wise, they both perform about the same. Some say opengl is easier, others directx, but I can't tell you seeing as I haven't done opengl - yet. You'd probably should learn both of them, because each has its advantages (gl multi platform and dx other stuff like sound, input, etc.)
Quote:Original post by fyhuang
Well, one AAA title using OpenGL would be DOOM3...

But doesn't Doom 3 also have support for DirectX?
Sorry, that was my post. I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.
Quote:Original post by jmutch
This topic has been brought up before (many times resulting in flame wars) so you might want to try the Forum Search

Q.E.D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement