Sign in to follow this  

Choosing a modelling format

This topic is 4852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a 3d game engine with DirectX, and am trying to choose a modelling format. I've had lots of trouble (would crash upon loading, and textures and colors never worked) with .x files in my last project, so I'd rather stay away from them. Which model formats have you found easy to export from Maya (with animations), and easy to load? Thanks. -Nick

Guest Anonymous Poster
It all depends whether the tools have a decent exporter
to .X directly or to .3ds (microsoft has a converter).

I was disappointed with microsoft (a frequent occurance)
with not giving better support (more converters to their proprietary format)

Advanced features in the better tools just dont have equivalents in .X (you have to create your own for .X and then your own converter).

I once tried to find the source code for microsofts Conv3ds.exe
thinking it would be a good starting place for rebuilding
a custom converter, but wasnt able to find it.

MD2 is pretty well doumented and you can find loaders all over the net if you Google for them. I've had trouble with various MD3 loaders though, and a lot of the file descriptions don't seem the same which makes me a little nervous about using them.

Then there's 3Ds, ASE (if you hate yourself i wrote an ASE loader at Uni' pain in the backside and bloated!). Only trouble i've had with .X files has been to do with the Max plugin not exporting some of the texture mapping coordinates like i'd expect.

Finally, theres a thread on the boards here about modding Doom3, they're discussing the model format and it looks as though it's all uncompressed text! So if you can find the thread it might be worth taking a look :)

I haven't got Doom3 so haven't been able to confirm it yet!
Good luck.

Andy

This topic is 4852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.