• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DaJudge

Problems with reusing z-buffer during multipass rendering

This topic is 5042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I am currently trying to implement multipass rendering into my engine. Everything went nice up to the point where I wanted to reuse the zbuffer for all passes (actually this is required for the technique I am trying to achieve). A little explanation of my setup: I am rendering a scene which has a view space depth of around 200 units. I limited the z range to [1;200] for testing in order to have a good z resolution there. I am using a depth stencil surface with the format D24S8. So I have 24 bit resolution for 199 units which should definitely suffice to get some decent results. I took care to use the same position-transformations in all vertex shaders used for the different passes (in order to avoid different z-values due to different ways of transforming the vertices). I am using a z-bias during the passes where I want to use the finished z-buffer - again to avoid z-fighting. However, I am experiencing something that looks like _heavy_ z-fighting when using the z-buffer during the lighting pass. You can find a screenshot of the problem at: http://www.dajudge.com/shot2.jpg The top left image is the texture only pass which is rendered first- this is where I do my depth writes (cheapest pass). The top right image is the diffuse lighting pass. Here I want to use the depth buffer generated by the first pass - there you can see my problems. The bottom right image is simply the modulation of the two passes' framebuffers. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I really have no clue what to do anymore... Thanks, Alex

Advertisement
What does it do without zbias? Z is usually setup to accept values <= to what's alredy there. When using the same geometry, no bias is needed to draw the next pass, as all acceptable pixels will have a Z that's equal to what's already in the buffer.

Okay, got it... The NVidia driver didn't like it when I cleared the stencil bits without clearing the z-bits (like I said it's D24S8). Since this is somewhat unwanted behaviour for my effect anyway I just skipped clearing the stencil bits as well... works well now.

Btw, you were right. ZBias doesn't make a difference...

For those who are interested - the fully blown 3-light source per pixel diffuse and specular screenshot (note it's DX8 & works nicely on XBOX):

www.dajudge.com/shot1.jpg

Thanks,
Alex

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!