Map Editor

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 7 months ago
I was just thinking of a map editor for height maps, and i was wondering if this would be possible. I have very little knowledge in using Win32, but i can use OpenGL fairly well for basic stuff. What i was thinking is this. Think of a normal windows grey window. On the right (like embedded in it) is a black portal where the HeightMap is displayed in 3D. On the left, is a kind of white MS-Paint(tm) type window. There the user draws the heightmap, and it is updated automatically on the 3D screen. I dont know if this is possible, if anyone could help that would be great. Thx PS: if this should be in Win32, plz move.
------------ "Here lies a toppled God,His fall was not a small one,We but built his pedastle,A narrow, and a tall one" Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)
Advertisement
It is possible, it just depends on how good your Win32 programming is.

I have done exactly this albeit in Visual Basic.

It was done with 4 picture boxes, one for a side view, one for a left, one for paint and the other for 3D.

PsYvIsIoN
Yes it is possible :) I and a team for a 3D Game actually made one :D. But if you want it should be easy :) Since you can create the window you just need OpenGL to display on the right and use BeginPaint or whatever you want to use for that to draw on the left :o
If you look on NeHe there is an example of how to do a split window with upto 4 different OpenGL "windows".
PsYvIsIoN
Quote:Original post by Kris2456
I was just thinking of a map editor for height maps, and i was wondering if this would be possible. I have very little knowledge in using Win32, but i can use OpenGL fairly well for basic stuff.

What i was thinking is this.
Think of a normal windows grey window. On the right (like embedded in it) is a black portal where the HeightMap is displayed in 3D.

On the left, is a kind of white MS-Paint(tm) type window. There the user draws the heightmap, and it is updated automatically on the 3D screen.

I dont know if this is possible, if anyone could help that would be great.

Ignore the others, it can't be done. Its impossible. No one could ever do what you describe.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement