Sign in to follow this  
stealth

FMOD???

I'm thinking of using FMOD to load and play mp3 files , I figure I'd be able to just call the functions straight outta the dll? , if I can do it this way then i was wonderin how would I find out what functions are in the dll? what the functions do? and how do I use them? theres prolly a simple answer , any help would be appreciated, sorry if this has been asked heaps before ( i'm guessing it has ) cheers Stealth

You'll need the API Fmod

then try doing a search on here for a tutorial on using FMod, there was a good article about a month ago.

I cant actually remember if the free version of FMOD allows you to play MP3's or not, i dont think it does though as there's a licensing issue. But i know it uses OGG files fine.

Anyway check it out.

Andy

thanks , I have the API already , I was thinking I might be able to use the FMOD functions directly thru the dll??, this is what I needed help with ,I wanted to know what functions are inside it and how I could use them , thanks anyway

You need to #include "fmod.h" in any file which needs access to the FMOD functions, you will also need to link to the corresponding import library for your compiler.

To learn what the methods do you can look in the supplied help file which is actually pretty good, if your after actual tutorials then look at Game Tutorials which has a few tutorials to help you get started with FMOD.

Quote:
Original post by stealth
thanks , I have the API already , I was thinking I might be able to use the FMOD functions directly thru the dll??, this is what I needed help with ,I wanted to know what functions are inside it and how I could use them , thanks anyway

yes you can access the dll functions. If you include the fmod.h header file they are all there for you (with an init and cleanup call to load/unload the dll for you).

Alternatively, you could use GetProcAddress to pull the functions manually from the Dll, but then the fmod API already does that for you. You will need to know the names of the functions and their prototypes, these can be found in fmod.h

If that still doesn't answer your question, you can manually read the Dll (using fread) by following the Win32 executable file format. This should give you the function table which contains the adresses of all functions within it. You will need to use dbghelp.dll to unmangle any names for you, and you will also need some assembly to call the functions manually.

Of course, if you want to get access to the functions within the Dll, you could just use the API - since that was the reason it was written.

Quote:
Original post by NineYearCycle
I cant actually remember if the free version of FMOD allows you to play MP3's or not, i dont think it does though as there's a licensing issue. But i know it uses OGG files fine.Andy

I think it allows it, but if you release your code and use the MP3 decoder, *you* are responsible for getting the appropriate MP3 license.

Look at fmoddyn.h

It includes all you will need to dunamically load the dll and get function address in a couple simple calls (and cross platform). Specifically: FMOD_CreateInstance and FMOD_FreeInstance. And you will not have to link to the import lib.

And yes, the free version allows all formats (ogg, mp3, wav, etc) the license dversion does.