Sign in to follow this  
SD_Alf

I need advice from someone who knows what they're talking about!!!

Hi, I'm interested in game design but I don't really know anything about it or the industry. I think I do have a lot of talent for it, though, coz I've been messing around with certain tools for a bit just making 2D shooters and stuff. My biggest problem is that I don't know of any developers in the uk who make hardcore 2D games and thats what i really want to do. If I was Japanese I'd send all my designs to Treasure because I think they'd love the types of games I design. Is there any English-speaking developers with the same attitude towards games as Treasure? If not, what are the chances of being able to set one up?

Don's send your designs to anyone, no one will listen. Unless of course, you have connections on the inside. Everyone in the industry has an idea of the perfect game to make, from the lead design all the way down to the tester they hired last week. All of them are ahead of the guy sitting in his basement designing games.

If you really want to get into game design, design games with the tools you have.

Make your games, even with crappy graphics and release them as freeware on the Internet. IMHO, the most important skill a game designer has, is experience. Only then will you be able to attempt to reason why feature 'x' is good and feature 'y' sounds cool but adds nothing to gameplay.

At least, that's the route I'm trying to take currently.

If you're good with artwork, and you know what you want the gameplay to be like, but you're not too crash hot with the programming, you might want to look up some games-targetted RAD tools, such as some of Clickteam's products, in particular The Games Factory, which, although long in the tooth and having some annoying bugs when I used it years ago, should let you make your 2D shooter by yourself.