Noob Question...

Started by
1 comment, last by IronDonut 19 years, 7 months ago
I'm rendering a real time floorplan of a building. The default view of the floorplan will be kindof offset overhead. If something happens in one of the rooms I want to draw attention to it. So I was thinking about putting a bullseye on the floor. First anyone have any creative ideas better than a bullseye? Secondly the floorplan is basically one big mesh and the stuff thats rendered in the floorplan are a bunch of little meshes. What do you think would be the best way to paint a bullseye (or whatever) on the floor of the room? Texture applied to the floorplan mesh? A mesh of a bullseye? Thanks for your help.
Advertisement
Could you possibly make a few alpha-blended quads in the shape of the floor of the room, and fade the alpha value up and down quickly a few time? You could easily use the D3DTOP_ADD texture operation to brighten the whole room, and just increase the alpha value from 0 to, say, 128, and then back down to 0, in about 1/4 to 1 second, and do this three or so times. The tricky (depending on how you have things set up) part would be making the appropriate quads to cover the shape of the room.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Yeah thats a good idea actually. It would basicall make the floor blink. A canned demo of the app had the entire floor of the room and contents jack up while it blinked.

Each different site where this software is going to run will have a different floorplan. The shape and size of the rooms will be different everywhere. So the initial mesh drawing and setup might be too much work.

That and I'm not sure exactly how to do it.

I will check out your alpha blending idea.

Thank you.

Quote:Original post by Agony
Could you possibly make a few alpha-blended quads in the shape of the floor of the room, and fade the alpha value up and down quickly a few time? You could easily use the D3DTOP_ADD texture operation to brighten the whole room, and just increase the alpha value from 0 to, say, 128, and then back down to 0, in about 1/4 to 1 second, and do this three or so times. The tricky (depending on how you have things set up) part would be making the appropriate quads to cover the shape of the room.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement