• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zild

Pretty Forms?

This topic is 5160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to add some menus to my game, including config menus and the obligatory "Are you sure?" menu for various events. I know how to make forms, but only simple ones. What I need now are forms with nice border patterns, and maybe images and even a fancy (new?) font. Is there a way to get these features through the basic forms, or must I make everything from scratch? Any tutorials that cover this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
You pretty much have to make everything from scratch. The standard non-Canvas graphics elements, IMHO, are not suitable for use in games due to their lack of customizable graphics.

On top of this there are a lot of memory issues with using forms. Be sure to checkout all the forums and white pages if you decide to use forms... which you shouldnt.

Note that general-purpose UI libraries such as Synclast and J2ME Polish tend to use up 10-20K of memory. On certain phones, that's a big bite out of the maximum JAR size. Rolling your own solution will take up much less space.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!