Sign in to follow this  
IronDonut

Another Noob Question - Mesh + Vertex Buffer

I'm rendering a building in real time floor by floor. I need to highlight activity in one of the rooms. One of the ideas that we've had is to jack up the entire floor (and contents) of the room we want to draw attention to. The building floorplan is one big mesh. The stuff in the building, people, devices, furniture etc are all little meshes positioned into the larger mesh. If I were to jack up the entire floor of the room. Would I grab the vertex buffer of the floorplan and then change the coords of the triangles that made up the floor of the room? Basically changing the axis so the floor rose? Thanks again.

hi, you could do several diff things. You could split the floor into it's own mesh- that way all you have to do is SetTransform() for that floor. basically make it a seperate entity.

If you choose to keep it as one mesh. well, that is a bit tougher. you gotta make the mesh buffer dynamic. Then change the y value of the verts to raise up the floor. you'd need someway to keep track of the indicies of the vertices you want to raise up or you could try identifying these verts according to their index buffer. so basically what i am saying is that you could make the floor part of the building in it's own index buffer. I think the first solution is what i would do.