Your Opinion on Donations (for software)

Started by
17 comments, last by catch 19 years, 7 months ago
Quote:
people now expect to get stuff for free

Yeah, I know. As I was saying earlier (either here or another post), this is a pretty big problem. It's very easy to get anything you want and never even think to pay for it.

"The good ol' days" are long gone, this is true. If you compare a typical home grown game to a commercial production, it's just devastating. Commercial ventures absolutely obliterate small time and indie developers efforts. And that is the level of game people would be willing to pay for, which is a problem for joe-schmoe working out of his "garage."

Back in the day, the playing field was a little closer. Now it's worlds apart, I guess.

So the problem is finding a market niche, I guess. You're right, no one will pay for pacman, but they might give a little to something they can play with, something they've never quite got to play with before, and something that stays fun for more than a few days...

Something that doesn't reek of "payme money plz plz pay me" The most recent shareware games I've played are such scams and money grubbing "demoware." Repulsive ;)
"Creativity requires you to murder your children." - Chris Crawford
Advertisement
That's a pretty good idea. Like several people have said, if it was simple enough I'd definitely pay.

I wonder if this wouldn't work just as well as making it shareware since, as pointed out in the thread I started that you refer to, shareware probably doesn't work very well anymore. It's just too easy to get the program for free anyway nowadays, so this is probably a better solution.
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
Wanna hear something scary? Some people have had donation request for some of my games, which I denied because I'm using copywritted materials.

The truth, is that it doesn't really matter how you get paid, it's how well you advertise.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Don't think that an indy developer can't produce something that 'normal' (i.e. someone who is just your average PC game player) people would be willing to pay for. Take a look at Introversion Software they're the guys behind a game called uplink which got an ~85% score in both PCGamer and PCFormat (in the UK) and they managed to land a publishing deal with HMV(IIRC).

Shareware is also not completely dead, take a look at EV:Nova which uses the 30-day play for free and then register for a fee if you want model. That doesn't seem to be doing too badly.

As for donation-ware if you made a game I found I was paying regularly I probably would donate but if it was something I was playing for a couple of weeks I probably wouldn't. You're not gonna make as much money out of this as you would if you'd sold it outright or gone the shareware route but if it effectively costs nothing you would probably end up with more people playing with dontation-ware.
In all honesty, most likely not, at least unless I was totally blown away by its quality. I like to think that I'd be more generous than your average pirate sort, but I still haven't gotten around to paying for GDNet+ yet either (hopefully soon!) However, I'd also like to point out that this is probably a biased place to ask. It seems to me that the results you see in a development community won't reliably coincide with the results across the gamer community.
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
In one year, we made a little over 2K USD from donations (plus another maybe 2K from various services). If it's a good product, some will donate.
And, in turn, I did donate 25 USD for SDL (eventually I will donate more).
I've donated to a few projects myself, so yes it can work.

I think most people are a billion times more likely to donate toward a game than anything else, but even then they still aren't likely to donate.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by catch
Folks, someone was asking about the profitability of shareware (or rather things he could make shareware in hope of making money).. And it brought up a question I'd like your answers/insights/opinions on.

What about donation-ware? Now listen for a second..

If someone had made something, let's say a game (being gamedev.net and all), and you downloaded and played it. All the author was asking was this.

Pay whatever you think it's worth. If it's worth nothing, don't pay for it. If it's worth a dollar, pay a dollar, if it's worth 10 bucks, pay 10 bucks, etc.

Do you think people would pay anything, ever? Would you? Now be really honest with me. If the game was really good and you really enjoyed it, would you take the time and money to support the author, or just be happy you're not obligated to pay a cent?

Honesty, please!

Thanks,
Catch

I can't imagine ever paying for it. Honestly. I wish it would work that way, but you just don't find the incentive to even bother if you already have the full version. It's not necessarily that I can't afford a few bucks, it's more that i'm just lazy, and don't have to.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
slap. *bump*
"Creativity requires you to murder your children." - Chris Crawford

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement