Sign in to follow this  
EdR

DirectDraw7 in Visual Basic--graphics don't work

Yes, yes, VB and games don't mix well--but I'm doing this with friends who overruled me. :/ I was following Jack Hoxley's DirectX4VB (Visual Basic 5/6) tutorials to create a DirectDraw7 fullscreen application. I put it together and tried to put together a tile engine. Unfortunately, it won't fly, and I'm not sure why. I've seen other stuff where each tile or sprite is put into its own DirectDraw7 surface, which I'm trying to do. I think--but I'm not entirely sure--that they load properly, but they won't blit. Perhaps there's a problem with my RECTs or something, but I don't know. The project files can be accessed at http://www.ropple.com/ed/stuff/game_IS/problem. Thanks in advance, Ed

If you just started with it, then I'd say ditch it and move into Dx8 with VB6. You can do all the same things, and tutorials are available from the same author. And, furthermore, that's how I began learning Dx [wink].

Otherwise, you could try e-mailing Jack Hoxley, but I would instead suggest you try and look at his source (he provides it) and see if you can't figure something out from there.

Quote:
Original post by Mushu
If you just started with it, then I'd say ditch it and move into Dx8 with VB6. You can do all the same things, and tutorials are available from the same author. And, furthermore, that's how I began learning Dx [wink].

Otherwise, you could try e-mailing Jack Hoxley, but I would instead suggest you try and look at his source (he provides it) and see if you can't figure something out from there.

I loathe DirectX8. And I have VB6 as well, but I only have a home license for that, and have three legit VB5 licenses, two of which my friends are using. For the early part of the game I'm doing it in a VB5-friendly format; once I get into the scripting engine I'll likely need Split() and will convert to VB6.

Besides, I figured it out. It would help immensely if I loaded my graphics before trying to display them.