How do I change the player 'model' into the other 'model'?

Started by
7 comments, last by VladWorks 19 years, 7 months ago
I have an 'armour1.x' model with an 'armour1 variable' and when the player pics up an 'armour2 variable' I want to change 'armour1.x' to 'armour2.x'. Can anyone please tell me how it's done in the code. A small example is all i need. Thank you VERY much in advance guys! [Edited by - VladWorks on September 1, 2004 3:16:25 PM]
"C" is like "C++" after you fail it 2 times!
Advertisement
- I'm afraid I don't understand the problem. Could you please clarify a bit?
- Please use descriptive thread titles

Quote:Original post by Coder
- I'm afraid I don't understand the problem. Could you please clarify a bit?
- Please use descriptive thread titles

It's not a problem really, I just want to see how that would be handeled using code.

Take this for example: You are using 'Model_one.x' (that represents your model) and you have picked up an item 'armour2' and in your engine you get the 'bool variable for 'armour2' set to true, so your engine loads 'Model_two.x' instead of 'Model_one.x'

EDIT: I just want to know how to handel that, and also do I have to 'delete[] Model_one.x if I load Model_two.x'?
Unless you have memory problems (you won't with two simple models), you can load them at the same time (and keep them both in memory). loading a model on the fly will greatly slow down your game as you are waiting for the hard disk. When you draw the player, you can simply do an

if (armour1 == true)
displayarmour1(); // code to display armour1.x model
if (armour2 == true)
displayarmour2(); // code to display armour2.x model
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Quote:Original post by falkone
Unless you have memory problems (you won't with two simple models), you can load them at the same time (and keep them both in memory). loading a model on the fly will greatly slow down your game as you are waiting for the hard disk. When you draw the player, you can simply do an

if (armour1 == true)
displayarmour1(); // code to display armour1.x model
if (armour2 == true)
displayarmour2(); // code to display armour2.x model

Do I have to set up that code after BeginScene()?
I would load both models only once, in your initialization code. The if statements then go inside your scene drawing routine. The displayarmour1 and 2 are where you would place your code to draw either of the armour models.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Or you could eliminate those if branches and use an array of pointer to member functions.

probably no huge increase in performance, but i'd be damned if it isn't just about the sexiest code... ;)

notice the lack of ugly 'if' blocks

public CMyClass{public:     typedef void (*CMyClass::pfvRenderModel)( void );     enum MODELS { MODEL_A, MODEL_B, NMODELS };     CMyClass() : m_iModel( MODEL_A )     {        m_pfvRender[ MODEL_A ] = &CMyClass::RenderModelA;        m_pfvRender[ MODEL_B ] = &CMyClass::RenderModelB;     }     HRESULT Render( IDirect3DDevice9* )     {        (*this->m_pfvRender[ m_iModel ])();        return S_OK;     }     void SwitchModel( int iModel )     {         m_iModel = iModel;     }private:     pfvRenderModel m_pfvRender[ NMODELS ];     void RenderModelA();     void RenderModelB();     int m_iModel;};
szsleepy, you should warn that your code causes mild seizures. The only advantage your code would have is the ability to add extra armour packages from accompanying code rather than in the function itself. I'm sure that Vlad prefers the simplicity of an if statement.
Quote:Original post by falkone
szsleepy, you should warn that your code causes mild seizures. The only advantage your code would have is the ability to add extra armour packages from accompanying code rather than in the function itself. I'm sure that Vlad prefers the simplicity of an if statement.

Dude you know me so well.....as funny as that would sound right now I would :D. Anyway falkone you think this code would be ok?

void arm1_load(CharControl *Char_, Video *vid, int id){ if(id == 0) {  vid->GetBackBuffer();  Char_->delete_obj(id);  Char_->create(id,Char_->x,0,Char_->z); }}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement