Sign in to follow this  
JasonHise

[web] First Website

I recently uploaded my first web page on a friend's server as a place to both share my code and act as a kind of personal resume. As I have never made a web page before, I would really appreciate any suggestions regarding both content and layout. The web site can be found at http://www.ezequal.com/chaos. [edit] Washu: Linkified. [/edit]

Better than the first site I made. I'd go to www.w3.org and run your webpages through their syntax checkers and see if it is valid XHTML 1.0 or whatever. You'll need to add a tag to the topline of your HTML to specify what version of HTML is should be checked as.

Edit: Just looked at your code again - its hard coding the colours of fonts and stuff into the code. You should use CSS if you want to pass that validation. Look at w3.org for information on using CSS.

As for the layout, I like it, its clear and centered and I think its good for the purpose you made it for.

It looks great, better than most sites that people have been working on for months.

It has a clean layout. That's the most important thing. The text is readable and your design doesn't get in the way of your content. I actually think this is the only case where Times New Roman actually works. [wink] You don't use extravagant, blinding color schemes and it's neatly organized into sections. Very nice.

This might be the first site I've seen that I've really liked. It seems perfect the way it is. My opinion is that you should leave the layout exactly as it is, but you should make it valid HTML. As Shard said, use W3's HTML Validator to make your site compliant with whichever standard you decide to go with. Personally I'd choose XHTML 1.0 Strict with CSS.

I just plugged in the Georgia font to test out how it looks, and also my brother told me to make the hyperlinks brighter instead of darker, so I changed that as well. I tried to write it to conform to xhtml, but will run it through the syntax checker to be sure. Thanks for the quick replies!

[edit]
changed hyperlinks back to dark blue, they stood out more than the headings when they were bright
[/edit]

I ran it through the validator for XHTML 1.0 Transitional and you have quite a lot of errors. This is what I got. A lot of them will be easy to solve, like additing omit tags and the doc type, but some come from the fact your using old style HTML. You should use CSS in place of hard coding colours and fonts.

if you'd like to hear my oppinion, above all in respect of "that you want to take it as resume", it looks too undergroundy; too freaky.
better you make a more eye-friendly site, which looks "smart"...

just my oppinion. no validation on it...

If I had to be picky, I'd suggest you use a program to create your image thumbnails. By the looks of it, you're using the browser's image scaling ability to make your thumbs which is generally a bad idea. For starters, the browser has to download the entire image to scale it which in a lot of respects defeats the point of a thumbnail. The second problem with this method is down to the way the browser scales it, the images look distorted and not visually appealing. If you wanted some advice, I'd recommend downloading a paint package such as The GIMP and creating some nice thumbnails. It'll do a lot better job and create a nice crisp thumbnail for you to link to, chacnes are it'll optimise the image too, making the image tiny in comparison and easy for the user to view without hogging bandwidth.

Alright, I need a little help. I spent the last few hours reading up on XHTML and CSS, and have remade my main page so that it is valid. I am trying to use the psuedo classes described here to specify the colors of my links but they are not having any effect. The xhtml is here and the style sheet is here.

I don't believe classes are inherited like that... Couldn't you just use a:visited to make all links the same color? The way you have it now you'd have to set the class attribute of each link to "linkinfo".

Looks good but id also prefere a change in text colour I find the current colour a strain to read with the glare on my monitor and im guessing that alot of other people may have this problem too. Changing to a colour that stands out more would help alot :)

I just changed the style sheet to use all white text, and it feels like the web site has lost its flavor. However its a biased opinion since I like the former color (#0080FF) in any context. Is this an improvement?

alright, I'm gonna roll back then.

For those who the color bothered... if you would like to play with the style sheet to find a text color that looks better on your monitor, I would be happy to try any hex values you suggest.

It looks well lay out for a first time job. My advice is: Go for frames later on when you get better at it. Frames are nifty for linkage to the rest of your site, and aren't the hardest to make. But for now, I'd have to say it's much, -much- better than what my first site looked like.