[web] First Website

Started by
19 comments, last by Zixouh 19 years, 7 months ago
I recently uploaded my first web page on a friend's server as a place to both share my code and act as a kind of personal resume. As I have never made a web page before, I would really appreciate any suggestions regarding both content and layout. The web site can be found at http://www.ezequal.com/chaos. [edit] Washu: Linkified. [/edit]
Advertisement
Moved to web dev.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Better than the first site I made. I'd go to www.w3.org and run your webpages through their syntax checkers and see if it is valid XHTML 1.0 or whatever. You'll need to add a tag to the topline of your HTML to specify what version of HTML is should be checked as.

Edit: Just looked at your code again - its hard coding the colours of fonts and stuff into the code. You should use CSS if you want to pass that validation. Look at w3.org for information on using CSS.

As for the layout, I like it, its clear and centered and I think its good for the purpose you made it for.
It looks good, much better than the first website I made -it included 25mb of sound files and exes :|

In my personal opinion, sans serif fonts look the best, like Helvetica / Verdana rather than Times New Roman etc.
Times now Roman is a really ugly serif font, you could try Georgia. I can't comment on the site, because I get "www.ezequal.com could not be found"
It looks great, better than most sites that people have been working on for months.

It has a clean layout. That's the most important thing. The text is readable and your design doesn't get in the way of your content. I actually think this is the only case where Times New Roman actually works. [wink] You don't use extravagant, blinding color schemes and it's neatly organized into sections. Very nice.

This might be the first site I've seen that I've really liked. It seems perfect the way it is. My opinion is that you should leave the layout exactly as it is, but you should make it valid HTML. As Shard said, use W3's HTML Validator to make your site compliant with whichever standard you decide to go with. Personally I'd choose XHTML 1.0 Strict with CSS.
Ra
I agree with Ra. The only thing I must say is, the choice of the lighter blue wasn't that great.
I just plugged in the Georgia font to test out how it looks, and also my brother told me to make the hyperlinks brighter instead of darker, so I changed that as well. I tried to write it to conform to xhtml, but will run it through the syntax checker to be sure. Thanks for the quick replies!

[edit]
changed hyperlinks back to dark blue, they stood out more than the headings when they were bright
[/edit]
I ran it through the validator for XHTML 1.0 Transitional and you have quite a lot of errors. This is what I got. A lot of them will be easy to solve, like additing omit tags and the doc type, but some come from the fact your using old style HTML. You should use CSS in place of hard coding colours and fonts.

if you'd like to hear my oppinion, above all in respect of "that you want to take it as resume", it looks too undergroundy; too freaky.
better you make a more eye-friendly site, which looks "smart"...

just my oppinion. no validation on it...
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement