[java] drawing 101

Started by
5 comments, last by Croc 19 years, 7 months ago
I've got the backBuffer blues. I can't seem to get things to draw smoothly. Been testing a bit with a volatileimage and bufferedimage as offscreen buffers drawing a little blue rectangle on a black background but with the same result. When scrolling the blue rectangle becomes blurry and seems to "flicker" or tear when scrolling horizontally. I'm testing with a very basic applet (sorry about the code dump), so my question is ... am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

public class test extends Applet implements KeyListener
{
	private BufferedImage vImgOffscreen;
	private int width = 640, height = 480;
	private int x = 50,y = 50;
	private Image player;
	protected boolean m_bKeyboard[] = new boolean[KeyEvent.KEY_LAST+1];

public void init()
	{
		addKeyListener(this);
		vImgOffscreen = getGraphicsConfiguration().createCompatibleImage(width, height);
		player = getImage(getDocumentBase(), "images/player.png");
		setSize(width,height);
	}

public void keyPressed(KeyEvent e)
	{
		m_bKeyboard[e.getKeyCode()] = true;

if (m_bKeyboard[KeyEvent.VK_RIGHT])
			x+=5;
		if (m_bKeyboard[KeyEvent.VK_LEFT])
			x-=5;
		if (m_bKeyboard[KeyEvent.VK_UP])
			y-=5;
		if (m_bKeyboard[KeyEvent.VK_DOWN])
			y+=5;

repaint();
	}
	public void keyReleased(KeyEvent e) {   m_bKeyboard[e.getKeyCode()] = false;   }
	public void keyTyped(KeyEvent e){}

public void update(Graphics g) {   paint(g);   }

public void paint(Graphics g)
	{
	    	renderOffscreen();
	    	// back buffer to the screen
	    	g.drawImage(vImgOffscreen, 0, 0, this);
	}

public void renderOffscreen()
	{
		Graphics2D g = vImgOffscreen.createGraphics();
		g.setColor(Color.black);
	    g.fillRect(0, 0, width, height);
		g.setColor(Color.blue);
	    g.fillRect(x, y, 16, 32);
		g.dispose();
	}
}

Advertisement
Seems fine to me, test it in my pc and no problemo
Anyway what's the keyboard boolean for, if you do it like that
And where's the animation thread? Is that to make event based game?
-------------Golden T Game Engine - Java Game EngineGolden T Website | Golden T Forum
Works fine for me too.

What speed is your computer?
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
It runs smoothly? No blurring or anything? Are you keeping a close eye on the offending blue square? :) Hmphf .. well, that's good news I guess. Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. By the by running the applet on an AMD XP 1800, 1gb ram and a GeForce FX 5700 (latest nVidia drivers installed).

Parts of the code is taken from a game I'm working on, and that's where I use the boolean keyboard array. I don't use any animation thread though .. just one thread to control the FPS so each frame everything gets updated and drawn. I'm using an image there but I'm seeing the same thing there which is why I made this little applet to test different off screen buffers.
Check your java version; the one that is actually called from the browser. If you have multiple jre's installed sometimes its not the one you think it is.....
Get the repaint out of the key event, and put that in a main loop. Use a little sleep after the repaint. I've had similar problems, I think the key event is triggered when drawing the previous frame is not finished yet.
8! bits.. wow..
Your problem lies in the fact that while you have overridden the method paint(Graphics g), you are still using the event dispatcher by using repaint() and update(). Both these methods are not run when called, but simply generate an event which is placed in a queue and is run at some future point in time (sometimes, not at all).

This will have the effect of occasional skipped frames and jerkiness on slower machines which is what you are experiencing.

Solution is to override paint() with a blank method, place what you currently have there in a seperate method and call that instead.

- Oscar [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement