Mesh format changes 9.0b and c?

Started by
7 comments, last by Ixeus 19 years, 7 months ago
I've looked around various sites, including this one, and can't find a straight answer to this issue. Since 9.0c SDK I've been unable to open any mesh files other than the ones that came with the SDK demo (or ones I've created using the Mesh viewer that came with the SDK) I get an error trying to load it, just saying "unable to load specified file" Maybe I'm just out of the loop or something, but there seems to be a difference here, I'm guessing it has to do with managed/unmanaged branch off. Is the format different now? If so, are there any exporters available? (p.s. it also fails to load when using the code in c# Mesh.LoadFromFile(...);) Thanks a lot of the help :)
Advertisement
The format didn't change, but the XFile parser got a little less forgiving about syntax in terms of { } and such. I think some exporters mess this up from time to time. (Milkshape in some instances? I'm not sure.)

Make sure braces matches up in the files.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
Quote:Original post by RenderTarget
I think some exporters mess this up from time to time. (Milkshape in some instances? I'm not sure.)

Yes, the Milkshape X-File exporter messes the files up. While they load fine in DX 9.0b, the won't on 9.0c. But you can fix this removing the redundant braces in the X-file. The D3DX debug library show the exact line where parsing failed.
Sweet, I'll give that a bash quick... have you tried this before? If this should fail, are there any other possible problems?

(What you said does make sense actually)

Just as a side note, say I want to create 2 sphere's one twice as big as the other in radius, do I do this in the mesh, or do I use the same mesh and scale them in the application appropiately?
(that is without distorting the textures)

Thanks,
Ixeus
Greetings!

You say DX 9.0c will not load the files? Hm. Try to load that .x file into the DX MESH VIEWER Utility. If it loads, save it again (File/Save). It will genereate a pure Micro$oft .X file with the DX sdk, not with some work arround functions like milkshape.
That's what I was talking about, it wouldn't load in the viewer, unfortunately I haven't gotten around to trying the { } fixes yet, I'll have a look this morning :)
Mmmmmm, the { } mismatch, I couldn't spot any as such. Seems a little deeper than that. I'm sure you're right about the syntax, but this seems awfully painful to search through a 300KB file for "incorret" syntax. Is there a converter that could fix these problems by chance, I have over 20 meshes that fail to load :(

Regards
Ixeus
The D3DX debug library tells you in which line the parsing failed, you can then easily eliminate the redundant braces.

Or you could switch to a better exporter ;)
I suppose that's question of the week, what IS a better exporter? I am using conv3ds currently for those 3ds files I've found online :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement