What's in a name?

Started by
32 comments, last by Vasant56 19 years, 7 months ago
PHILIPPE m
Usage: French
Pronounced: fee-LEEP
French form of PHILIP

No description for the french form, so here is the description of 'PHILIPPE':

From the Greek name Philippos which means "friend of horses", composed of the elements philos "friend" and hippos "horse". Saint Philip was an apostle in the New Testament. This was also the name of an early figure in the Christian church spoken of in Acts in the New Testament. The name was borne by five kings of Spain, six kings of France, and five kings of Macedon, including Philip II the father of Alexander the Great.
Advertisement
I decided to play around a little bit.

The shortened version of ArchWizard:
Quote:
ARCHIE
Usage: Scottish, English
Pet form of ARCHIBALD

Which leads to:

Quote:
ARCHIBALD
Usage: Scottish, English
Derived from the Germanic elements ercan "genuine" and bald "bold".

Lies, I am not bold. Well, maybe I'm a little bold on teh intarweb.

Final Fantasy fans should get this one:

Quote:EDGAR
Usage: English, French
Derived from the Old English element ead "rich, blessed" combined with gar "spear".
"Sir, it is pie." - Mark TwainThe ArchWizard's site.
Quote:ANDREW m
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: AN-droo
From the Greek name Andreas, which derives from aner "man" (genitive andros "of a man"). In the New Testament the apostle Andrew was the brother of the apostle Simon Peter. According to legend he was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and he is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia, and Greece. This was also the name of kings of Hungary.

Quote:Origin: Biblical
Meaning: A strong man

Origin: English
Meaning: Manly; brave. In the bible the first of the twelve apostles chosen. Andrew is patron saint of Scotland and Russia. See also Jedrick and Kendrick.

Origin: Greek
Meaning: Manly. St Andrew, an apostle of Jesus Christ, later became patron saint of Scotland. The Scottish city St Andrews is named for him. It was in frequent use throughout Britain during the Middle Ages.

Origin: Scottish
Meaning: Manly. From the Greek Andrew. Has long been a popular Scottish name, because St. Andrew is the Patron Saint of Scotland after whom the town of St Andrews was named.

It's a fairly popular name but I only seem to find Andrew's in clusters. A lot of places don't have any Andrew's but as soon as I meet one I will meet four others.
MARKO m
Usage: Ukrainian, Croatian, Serbian, Finnish
Ukrainian, Croatian, Serbian and Finnish form of MARK

MARK m
Usage: English, Russian, Biblical
Familiar form of MARCUS. Saint Mark was the author of the second Gospel in the New Testament. He is the patron saint of Venice, where he is supposedly buried. Another famous bearer of this name was Mark Antony (Marcus Antonius), the Roman triumvir who was the lover of Cleopatra. Shakespeare tells this story in his tragedy 'Antony and Cleopatra'. Yet another famous bearer was the American author Mark Twain, real name Samuel Clemens, author of 'Tom Sawyer' and 'Huckleberry Finn'.
Oh man, I got screwed:

Quote:COREY m
Usage: English
Pronounced: KOR-ee
From a surname which was possibly either derived from the Old Norse given name Kori (of unknown meaning), or else meant "ravine" in Gaelic.

Ravine? WTF? At least the fact that it may have come from old Norse is cool. Ooooh, Kori, unknown meaning. Let's just pretend it meant something like, "Ruler of the world" or "Destroyer of men". You know, something cool.
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
Quote:Original post by Cold_Steel
Ravine? WTF? At least the fact that it may have come from old Norse is cool. Ooooh, Kori, unknown meaning. Let's just pretend it meant something like, "Ruler of the world" or "Destroyer of men". You know, something cool.
At least you aren't named after an Old English occupation, one which to this day still isn't that much of an importance. [razz]
Quote:Original post by Acoustica
Quote:Original post by Cold_Steel
At least you aren't named after an Old English occupation, one which to this day still isn't that much of an importance. [razz]
Yeah, good point. But it's a noble occupation, right? Yeah, I'm grasping at straws here. Change your name [wink]
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
Sean
Irish equivalent of John
JOHN m
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAHN
English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious".

Apparently I've always spelled it wrong, it's appropriately SEÁN

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:ALAN m
Usage: English, Scottish
Pronounced: AL-an
The meaning of this name is not known for certain, though it possibly means either "little rock" or "handsome" in Breton. It was introduced to England by Bretons after the Norman invasion. Famous modern bearers include Alan Shepard, the first American in space and the fifth man to walk on the moon, and Alan Turing, a British mathematician and computer scientist.
My name is incredibly boring.
Quote:DILLON m
Usage: English
Pronounced: DIL-un
Variant of DYLAN
Well, that sucks. Er...
Quote:DYLAN m
Usage: Welsh, English, Welsh Mythology
Pronounced: DUL-an (Welsh), DIL-un (English)
Means "sea" in Welsh. In Welsh mythology he was a god of the sea, the son Aranrhod. He was accidentally slain by his uncle Govannon. The Welsh poet Dylan Thomas and the musician Bob Dylan are famous bearers of this name.
Mommy, where are my magical powers? [grin]
Quote:From http://baby-names.adoption.com/search/Dillon.html
Dillon - Male - Gaelic - Faithful
I don't know which I prefer... [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement