What's in a name?

Started by
32 comments, last by Vasant56 19 years, 7 months ago
I've always been facinated with language, and in particular, names. There's just something exciting about knowing that your name means more than just, well, you. [smile] I think it would be really cool to know where your real name comes from. If you need help finding an origin for your name, Behind the Name is a great place to start to find at least a basic origin. So let's get started! - Tyler - English - From an occupational surname meaning "tiler of roofs" in Old English.
Advertisement
Robert
- English, French, Scandinavian
- "bright fame", derived from the Germanic elements hrod "fame" and beraht "bright". The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It belonged to three kings of Scotland, including Robert the Bruce who restored the independence of Scotland from England in the 14th century. The author Robert Browning and poets Robert Burns and Robert Frost are famous literary bearers of this name. Also, Robert E. Lee was the commander of the Confederate army during the American Civil War.

and I'm working on living up to my name [grin]
SAM m,f
Usage: English
Pronounced: SAM
Short form of SAMSON, SAMUEL, or SAMANTHA. This is also the name of a hobbit in J. R. R. Tolkien's novel 'The Lord of the Rings'. His full first name was Samwise meaning "half wise" in Old English (the language used by Tolkien to represent the hobbit speech).

(not my name, my birth certificate just says "Sam Johnston", but this is techinically part of my name (more like my name is part of this))
SAMUEL m
Usage: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Biblical
Pronounced: SAM-yoo-el, SAM-yool
From the Hebrew name Shemu'el which could mean either "name of God" or "God has heard". Samuel was the last of the ruling judges in the Old Testament. He anointed Saul to be the first king of Israel, and later anointed David.

SAMSON m
Usage: Biblical, English
Pronounced: SAM-sun
From the Hebrew name Shimshon which probably meant "sun". Samson was an Old Testament hero of exceptional strength. His uncut hair was the source of his power, but his mistress Delilah betrayed him and cut it. Thus he was captured by the Philistines, blinded, and brought to their temple. However, in a final act of strength, he pulled down the pillars of the temple upon himself and his captors.

I want to be Samson!
JOSHUA m
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa
From the Hebrew name Yehoshua which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua.
And Dave did see the ad of penis enlargement, and gazing upon His holy manhood, He did thrust the spam into the firey depths of hell.- Book of Dave, 1:7
Wow, what a surprise, my name aint there. On the other hand I never heard anybody else had the same name as me! I kinda like it that way
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Quote:
DOUGLAS m
Usage: Scottish, English
Pronounced: DUG-lus
Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Dubhghlas, which meant "dark river" or "blood river" from Gaelic dubh "dark" and glais "water, river". Douglas was originally a river name, the site of a particularly bloody battle, which then became a Scottish surname. The surname belonged to a powerful line of Scottish earls.

Quote:CHRISTOPHER m
Pronounced: KRIS-to-fur
Means "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Christos combined with pherein "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.

Already knew that. [smile] Also already knew it was insanely popular. I know too many Chris's. [rolleyes]

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

PATRICK m
Usage: Irish, English, French, German

Pronounced: PAT-rik (English), pat-REEK (French)

From the Roman name Patricius, which meant "nobleman" in Latin. A 5th-century saint, the patron saint of Ireland, adopted this name (his birth name was Sucat). During his youth he was captured by Irish raiders and enslaved, but after six years of servitude he escaped to his home in Britain. Eventually he became a bishop and went back to Ireland as a missionary, where he succeeded in Christianizing the entire country.

HHC 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment1st Brigade (SBCT), 25th Infantry DivisionRest In Peace SSG Julian Melo
Quote:ANTHONY m

From the Roman family name Antonius, which is of unknown Etruscan origin. It is sometimes claimed to mean "flower" from Greek anthos. <-- NO!! Mark Antony (Marcus Antonius) was the Roman general who ruled the Roman empire jointly with Augustus for a short time. Their relationship turned sour however, and he and his mistress Cleopatra (hell yes) were attacked and forced to commit suicide. <-- crap! Shakespeare's tragedy 'Antony and Cleopatra' is based on them. Other famous bearers include the 3rd-century Saint Anthony the Abbot, a hermit from Egypt who founded monasticism, and the 13th-century Saint Anthony of Padua, the patron saint of Portugal.
Ra
Quote:Original post by TravelingCoder
JOSHUA m
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa
From the Hebrew name Yehoshua which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua.

same here

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement