WSAEPROCLIM - Windows Sockets implementation limit

Started by
0 comments, last by Evil Steve 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi all, I've been developing an application which starts many processes built in C. These processes talk to each other via UDP messages, so at the very beginning each one opens an UPD port and binds it. It works fine. Now, I tested it to check the maximum processes I can handle beacuse of the CPU performance, and found that after the process num 178 aprox the WSAStartup fails with the err code WSAEPROCLIM (Windows Sockets implementation limit on the number of applications that can use it simultaneously). I was looking in google and in the MSDN to find a way to "increase" that number, but couldn't find any real way. Does anybody knows if there is a way to work it out? The OS is Windows2000Pro Thnk in advance, Luckas.-
Advertisement
It wouldn't make sense for there to be a reason to increase that number. If there was, then winsock would do it automatically for you.
The winsock DLL is only built to handle a certain number of processes using it at one time, and the only way to change the number of processes that can connect to it would be to change the dll itself - I.e. change windows version. However, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are very similar internally, and I doubt there'd be any difference. You might notice a difference if you upgraded to Windows 2003 Server, since its designed to be a server.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement