Sign in to follow this  
nickwinters

Doom Models?

I heard at some point that the model files for Doom 3 are plain text. Now that the game is actually out, I was wondering if this is true? MD2 and MD3 models are very well documented at this point. Is this because ID released info on it? Or reverse engineering? I'm asking because I'm trying to choose a modelling format, and while MD2 seems to have a lot of good documentation out there, it seems a bit dated right now, and I want to use something modern. Thanks. -Nick

Id Software employees releeased info on the MD2 and MD3 models legally. Its fully legal to use them as well, as Carmack himself said Id Software did not legally protect their file formats.

However, MD2 and MD3 do have their limitations. I personally consider them to be quite bad model formats (especially MD2). MD2 lacks accuracy in its animations, and is all morphing based, which is alot less flexible than skeletal animation. As for MD3, the animations aren't very nice either, its not true skeletal animation (allthough it can have tags) and there are visible seams between the different parts of the models. Some people have already written loaders for the Doom 3 model format, so I would advise looking into that direction instead.