what kind of manipulation can cause device lost?

Started by
3 comments, last by Namethatnobodyelsetook 19 years, 7 months ago
what kind of manipulation can cause device lost(window mode). minimize&maximize resized; window moved?
Advertisement
Quote:From dx8 SDK
By design, the full set of scenarios that can cause a device to become lost is not specified. Some typical examples include loss of focus, such as when the user presses ALT+TAB or when a system dialog is initialized. Devices can also be lost due to a power management event, or when another application assumes full-screen operation. In addition, any failure from Direct3DDevice8.Reset puts the device into a lost state.

I opened my current project (which runs in Windowed mode) and did all the stuff. None of it lost the device.

Since in windows mode the d3ddevice doesn't have direct control over the monitor, changes in the window state are passed through the window handle and.. handled? Or something like that. Someone more experienced can cover from here if you want an explanation.
Try ctrl-shift-esc. If that doesn't do it, try ctrl-alt-del. Run full-screen and alt-tab away from your app.
Quote:Original post by Namethatnobodyelsetook
Try ctrl-shift-esc. If that doesn't do it, try ctrl-alt-del. Run full-screen and alt-tab away from your app.

Well, if you run it in fullscreen then, yes, of course you'll lose the device.
Quote:(window mode).
Mushu, sorry if my reply wasn't perfect. Anyway, I loaded the DX help, and typed "lost device" into the index. A page called "Lost Devices" contains this text: "By design, the full set of scenarios that can cause a device to become lost is not specified. Some typical examples include loss of focus, such as when the user presses ALT+TAB or when a system dialog is initialized. Devices can also be lost due to a power management event, or when another application assumes full-screen operation. In addition, any failure from IDirect3DDevice9::Reset puts the device into a lost state." So, instead of pointing out that I missed the words "windowed mode", you could have noted that I provided two other relevant answers first. The original poster can probably have filtered out that last one on his own, giving your post absolutlely no purpose.

To the OP: If you're trying to find each possible case, as the docs mention, there is no complete list, nor should your app rely on responding to each specific situation. If you're just trying to test your lost-device code, popping up the task manager should do the trick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement