DOS command help?

Started by
9 comments, last by grekster 19 years, 7 months ago
Can anyone tell me what the DOS command is to change directories? Thanks.
"He had surived everything, developing a faciltiy that was the envy of players every where on the net. He was the most famous character in the Middle country game,recruited for every battle..first choice for every important task"
Advertisement
"cd" (change directory)

If your at
C:
and there's a directory called "Stuff" you type
"cd Stuff"
which brings you to
C:\Stuff
Thanks.
"He had surived everything, developing a faciltiy that was the envy of players every where on the net. He was the most famous character in the Middle country game,recruited for every battle..first choice for every important task"
cd ..

will take you up one level (to the parent folder). I only say this because it's incredibly useful and not always common knowledge.
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
Also, just using the help command would have told you this. [grin]
Quote:Original post by Thunder_Hawk
cd ..

will take you up one level (to the parent folder). I only say this because it's incredibly useful and not always common knowledge.

Oh, and cd \ takes you to the root of the drive, and in some versions of DOS cd ... takes you up two directories and cd .... goes up three.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

to open an directory you use cd <dir name> and to open a file you use just the name of the file when you're in the right directory.

Btw, there's also another thing some ppl don't know, ands thats the command "dir". This command will show you a full list of all files and directory's from the dir you're currently in.

Hope this helps
If you have too many files on screen with a DIR command, try pausing after each screen with DIR /P or splitting it into columns with DIR /W - or both, DIR /P/W

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves
If you have too many files on screen with a DIR command, try pausing after each screen with DIR /P or splitting it into columns with DIR /W - or both, DIR /P/W

You could also write:

dir | more

or

dir .ext

where ext is the file extension you are looking for

and, of course, you can combine the two

dir .ext | more

BTW the | more thing works on any command (including user-made programs) to split the output into pages of information. I use this a lot, especially in compilation scripts.
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement