Sign in to follow this  
role

[java] Platform game (updated)

I thought both games were excellent! The platformer reminded a little of Mega Man, which is one of my all time favorite platform games.

I just started learning java (although, I've written a blackjack game, and a pong clone using C). About how long did it take you to write the platformer? I'm curious because after I finish my current project (asteroids), I plan on make a game similar to yours.

- heap

Oh, and keep up the great work!!

i like. it's one of those "so good i want to grade like a commerical endeavor" projects. i would simplify the controls, even after custom setup i found them confusing, but other than that it's awesome. ratings++

well..
Game Exception on RoboticsWar v0.4
----------------------------------
java.lang.InternalError: Could not get display mode

at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.getCurrentDisplayMode(Native Method)

at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.getDisplayMode(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.gamedev.engine.input.AWTInput.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.gamedev.Game.initEngine(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.roboticswar.RoboticsWarGame.initEngine(RoboticsWarGame.java:95)

at com.golden.roboticswar.RoboticsWarGame$3.initEngine(RoboticsWarGame.java:146)

at com.golden.gamedev.Game.initialize(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.gamedev.GameEngine.startGameLoop(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.roboticswar.RoboticsWarGame.startGameLoop(RoboticsWarGame.java:170)

at com.golden.gamedev.b.run(Unknown Source)

Game Environment
----------------
Date/Time : vr, 17-09-2004 at 18:50
Java Version : 1.4.2_04-b05 Sun Microsystems Inc.
GTGE Version : 0.2.0
Environment : Windowed with BufferStrategy
Operating System : Windows 98 4.10

Quote:
Original post by role
how about trying my game engine if you like to make similar game like mine ;)

I checked out your web site, and it looks like the engine is free to dowload. The main advantage that I see to java is portability, and I always wanted to write a game that could run on almost any system. Are there any licensing restrictions on using your engine (does it cost anything to use it?)

Quote:
Original post by role
Thanks... and is there no bugs anybody?
heap, how about trying my game engine if you like to make similar game like mine ;)

That'd be cool, but I'd rather take the time to write my own.

Whoops what's that? Could not get display mode error...
I'll check it out, thanks for the report tjoink

Nope, it's totally free wyrzy, and there's no restriction to use the engine, you can use it freely.

Why don't you take a moment to check the engine heap.
Tell me what you think

Thanks everyone

Cool game(I only played the robotics war), I think my biggest critique qould be the jets. They just seem....too slow? I guess. I'd make them maybe more powerful, and just have less fuel. Or make the fuel take longer to re-charge.

Just seems like I was waiting an eternity to move up 3 pixels.

Other than that, really good. Fluid movements. No slowdown. Nice music and menu.

Your game engine is really great, save my time to write my own.

The gamedev utilities are great too, I am learning J2ME game programming and using the tools right now.

Thanks for your tools :) and keep up the great work ;)

Guest Anonymous Poster
I played both, and I like both.

The music of the platformer kinda reminds me of music from some games made for the SNES. It seems that you made it so that the player's jet fuel guage will stop refilling if the player is moving. I think, for this particular game, the guage should refill regardless of whether the player is moving. The framerate was decent. I wasn't quite sure if Java could even achieve such framerates when dealing with the sort of graphics this game used, but you proved it could be done. One thing that I noticed, is that the screen doesn't seem to always redraw itself properly; this is most noticible during the levels where the screen is scrolling.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks flim and AP

@flim, but what tools are you talking about?
My Game Engine is to be used on J2SE, but you said you are learning J2ME game programming? How can you use my game engine on J2ME???

@AP, if the jet always refuel even the robo move, it makes the game very easy. I'll look on the redraw thing, anyway how many fps you could achieve when you type 'hyperspeed' (to max out the fps)???

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

if the jet always refuel even the robo move, it makes the game very easy

Well, if you truly believe so.

Quote:

anyway how many fps you could achieve when you type 'hyperspeed' (to max out the fps)???

The max was 42, but the average was between 35 and 38. My OS is Windows ME. The game was run in fullscreen with the buffer strategy.