Sign in to follow this  
graveyard filla

what texture sizes to use ?

maybe i worded the question badly.

basically, im wondering what is the recommended texture sizes for textures. most of my images are small, so i stick a bunch of them into a single texture. tiles for instance, are only 32x32, but i can make 128x128 tile sheets, or 256x256 tile sheets, etc. what size do you recommend i make my textures? thanks for any help

Quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
maybe i worded the question badly.

basically, im wondering what is the recommended texture sizes for textures. most of my images are small, so i stick a bunch of them into a single texture. tiles for instance, are only 32x32, but i can make 128x128 tile sheets, or 256x256 tile sheets, etc. what size do you recommend i make my textures? thanks for any help

thats up to you. Depends on how much detail you are after. I personally like nicer looking textures. So I would go with 256x256 and do like you are now put all textures in one 256x256.

what would detail have anything to do with anything? like i said, i have a bunch of smaller images that ill just shove into a big texture. the question is, what size texture is optimal if i want my game to be supported on old and crappy computers? even ones with just a build in on board video card. basically its a compatability and memory concern. thanks again

Most videocards can support up to 1024x1024 and even 2048x2048. I am not sure but Voodoo cards I think were limited to 1024x1024. So if you asking about speed shouldn't be an issue, but memory useage will. But were talking 256 texture at most should take up 262k. So like I said before use whatever you want.

Basically, the tiles are going to use the same amount of memory, independent of whether you group them together into large or small textures.
You can probably safely assume that any card today supports a texture size of 1024x1024.
Though, by putting several tiles together in one large texture, you can minimize texture swapping, which is an expensive process.

Quote:
Original post by MARS_999
Most videocards can support up to 1024x1024 and even 2048x2048. I am not sure but Voodoo cards I think were limited to 1024x1024.

Voodoo cards were limited to 256x256 textures.

512x512 and 1024x1024 is pretty safe really though, that includes TNT and up.

so gluScaleImage() will take a given texture and shrink it? so im guessing theres a loss of quality? either way, thats pretty sweet to allow me to use big textures and then shrink them if there not supported... but wont this screwed up the texture coordinates then? so i would need to re-calculate the texture coords since the image is now shrunken? thanks again everyone

64x64 is guaranteed to be available in any conformant OpenGL implementation, not 256x256. Anyway, it really doesn't matter that much. As long as you pick a size that avoid excessive state changes (i.e. switching texture all the time) size isn't that important. You could try benchmarking, but I doubt any difference will be apparent. Just write your code so that it's flexible enough that you can change the size easily if need be.

You can't just blindly downsize a packed texture/tileset and expect that to work just as before. For a start anything other than a nice even scale (half size, quater size) will mean adjacent images will now be blended into each other. Even with a good scale it'll still mess up your texture coords if you want them accurate to the center of a texel, and the downsizing will still make images bleed into those adjacent to each other.