• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Khaos Dragon

compiling for multiple platforms

This topic is 5137 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am finding that my sdl/opengl apps compiled on my xp pro machine are tending to crash a lot on different windows operating systems, including windows 98, 2000, and even the home edition of windows xp. My code is 100% portable so there is no windows specific stuff there. It would be a pain to have to compile these on each of the different platforms, so I was wondering if it is possible within visual studio to compile on my xp professional versions which will run on xp home, or on windows 2000 for example?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Since you're not using any XP specifics in your apps the bugs you're experiencing have nothing to do with your choice of Windows flavour. The resulting machine-code would be exactly the same if compiled on Windows 2000 or 98, etc.

The cause for these crashes is something else - probably a compiler bug or too thorough optimization for any particular processor.

It's more likely your code is causing the problem than the compiler. The best way to go is to debug your app on target platforms, chances are, you'll find bugs in your code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!