• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Obtaining Triangle X/Y Points From Mesh

This topic is 4979 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm fairly new to DirectX and am still trying to get down some of the basics. At the moment I'm working on a birds-eye view spaceship game and have come up with a small problem: For C-D I've implemented a basic point-in-triangle check but I am now stumped on how to get the 3 points of each seperate triangle that make up one of my .X mesh spaceships. I have played around with building Vector2 arrays from the Mesh's VertexBuffer but that just gives me the points I'd like to test and not the triangles I need to test them in. Am I approaching this part of collision detection from the wrong direction? I've just been teaching myself DirectX with no formal learning structure beyond reading net articles, so I'm sure I don't know the difference between a good and bad technique. Also would it generally be more effective to use a point-in-triangle detection or a byte grid representing X|Y around my spaceship? If a byte grid would be better, how would I go about implementing the detection of the mesh? Using Mesh.Intersect? Thanks, Cyric cyric74@hotmail.com

Advertisement
checking every polygon for collision detection is (or may be) a good idea, but also very slow. First you should use circles/rectangles (for 2d... birds view right?) or spheres/boxes to check if the objects are close enough to warrant an expensive polygon-collision test. In fact, if the sphere/box encapsulates your ships well enough, you may not even need polygon collision testing (as long as it looks right, depends on how far the camera is). Also, this is a good tutorial for collision detection using ellipsoids (a sphere with 3 radii).

As for getting the 3 points that make up your polygons... If you're drawing the polygons you should be able to get them. You can't draw a polygon without it's verts. Also not quite sure what you're doing with Vector2 arrays... Remember, polygons have 3 vertices, not 2 (even if you make it look like 2d). If you don't need/want the Z value, just don't use it, but don't ignore it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement