I need Visual C++ 6.0 Professional

Started by
29 comments, last by shane1985 19 years, 7 months ago
I don't know if the pro version is even available unless you buy the whole studio. That could get pricey. I would instead buy the vc++ 2003 standard edition. It doesn't come with optimizing compiler but you probably won't need it. You can sell your apps no problem.
Advertisement
To get the professional optimizing compiler for the MSVC++ .Net 2003 Standard Edition, just install the Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit.
I asked MS, and they're told me:
1. Visual C++.NET Standard is about ~150 USD but i can't make commercial programs
2. Visual C++.NET Professional not sold separately, just part of Visual Studio (as JD said). It's about ~1000 USD.
3. Standard with Toolkit: same like point 1., because _all_ standard version developer kits are valid for hobby programmers and learning.
So i have two ways to make commercial progz:
Visual Studio.NET or old Visual C++ 6.0 Professional.
If i am not mistaken.
You can't make commercial programs with standard? Since when?
Since MS told me that :)
I have asked about three independent source, the answer was same and depressing.
You made me paranoid to check my EULA/License on C++ .NET 2003 standard and I could find no such clause anywhere on it.

Sounds like a FUD tactic to get you bumped up to Studio .NET.

Now, Academic version has this restriction and I've heard that the 2005 Express version might also, but this is unconfirmed.
[uncalled for open-source advocacy]
Start developing with gcc and dev-c++ or emacs, and you won't have to spend a dime or worry about ridiculous licences. Plus you get nerd-points if you can actually figure out how to use gdb and other cryptic tools.
[/uncalled for]
Quote:Original post by jgoewert
You made me paranoid to check my EULA/License on C++ .NET 2003 standard and I could find no such clause anywhere on it.

Sounds like a FUD tactic to get you bumped up to Studio .NET.

Now, Academic version has this restriction and I've heard that the 2005 Express version might also, but this is unconfirmed.

First, I have standard, and you are correct - there is no restriction for creating commerical programs. Also, everything I've read suggests that Academic is exactly the same as Pro - So, it has the optimizing compiler and it's executables are able to be distributed.

Here is a link on the academic version from a MS rep.
Should I buy VS.Net Academic?

You may be confusing this restriction with the Introductory version that ships with many books.
Also, one other distiction that many people fail to notice is that of the MSDNAA licence vs the Academic licensing. MSDNAA is a school licence, so the individual student doesn't have the licensing rights. This is not the case with the normal store bought Academic version, where the user has all of the rights, and it is valid after your schooling is over.

Here is a good thread that covers a lot of the licensing issues.
Academic vs Retail vs. OEM

[Edited by - shane1985 on September 8, 2004 2:39:43 PM]
Is it truth?
I don't want to belive to MS wants to bang me! If you can may i ask you to scan .NET Standard EULA and put up somwhere?
I wrote to MS just now to describe me about this situation and if they're reply i will quote it.
visual c++ 6 has a few annoying things, one of them is you cant do this:

for(int i=0;i<4;i++)
{
}

for(int i=0;i<4;i++)
{
}

it will return a redefinition error.

I now use MinGW Studios, took me a bit to get use to no intellisense,but now its fine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement