Sign in to follow this  
jsloan

Couple of questions about DDraw

Hi there, Im currently devloping a turn based strategy game that involves a grid with characters on each grid space. What i would like to know is the best way of doing the rendering operations. I currently use surfaces in VRAM to hold the sprites and then blit them to the screen using The BltFast and Blt functions. Is this the 'optimum way' of doing it? Or does it really matter considering that its not that graphical of a game in the first place? Also if someone could clear up some confusion about the surfaces, when i create a surface in my class it uses the DDCAPS_VIDEOMEMORY flag. If someone does not have enough VRAM to hold the surface contents will it automatically divert to another resource? Thanks for any assistance.

Experience tells me that what cannot be stored in video memory is automatically stored in system memory. This will kill your frame rate faster that you might think.
Storing your surfaces in video ram and blting your sprites to the backbuffer before flipping is standard procedure.

Jackson Allan