Sign in to follow this  
Skizz

Brew

Recommended Posts

Does anyone here have any experience with Brew, J2ME and, ideally, mophun? What I'd like to know is how difficult it would be to convert a J2ME/mophun2D game to Brew. I've recently been asked to quote on doing the above but I've never looked at Brew before so I have no idea about the scale of the job. So, I know Brew is C based, does it also support C++? Is the API easy to get to grips with. There's also a chance of converting the mophun 3D version I'm currently working on (which is all C++) to Brew3D as well. Assuming I'm working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and that I've got and understand all the source for the J2ME / mophun2D versions, how long would a conversion take including getting to grips with Brew (2D only). If you can base any estimate on work you've actually done that would help me enormously. Cheers, Skizz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
What I'd like to know is how difficult it would be to convert a J2ME/mophun2D game to Brew. I've recently been asked to quote on doing the above but I've never looked at Brew before so I have no idea about the scale of the job.


well it depends how much difference is there in the API, i believe it will be quite easy to convert your mophun2D game into Brew, but as J2ME is a java based while Brew and Mophun2D is C++ Based soo it difficult to convert into different API and easier to convert into same.

Quote:
So, I know Brew is C based, does it also support C++? Is the API easy to get to grips with. There's also a chance of converting the mophun 3D version I'm currently working on (which is all C++) to Brew3D as well.


well Brew3D, i believe is C++ based, Because i dont think any new API would'nt follow C++.

Quote:
Assuming I'm working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and that I've got and understand all the source for the J2ME / mophun2D versions, how long would a conversion take including getting to grips with Brew (2D only). If you can base any estimate on work you've actually done that would help me enormously.


I guess you work reasonablily enough and i guess Brew2D is not much of difficulty as you already are fimilar with Mophun3D. So dont be afraid to change API, its not a big deal i guess you can easily grip it in few days. as you are etirely devoted........ Thumbs up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The time it would take depends enormously on the handsets you are porting to, the quality of the codebase you are given, and your expertise in coding BREW. Given that you have no experience in the latter, I would be inclined towards pessimism; it has a LOT of caveats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Skizz
So, I know Brew is C based, does it also support C++? Is the API easy to get to grips with. There's also a chance of converting the mophun 3D version I'm currently working on (which is all C++) to Brew3D as well.

Assuming I'm working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and that I've got and understand all the source for the J2ME / mophun2D versions, how long would a conversion take including getting to grips with Brew (2D only). If you can base any estimate on work you've actually done that would help me enormously.


You can write BREW code in c or c++, but with c++ you need to be a little wary. You'll need to override global new and delete, dont use RTTI and no exceptions.

Also, be aware that you really need to be a registered BREW developer (details here) to get access to some documentation, and tools that let you compile to hardware. The freely available SDK can only target the emulator.

For porting J2ME to BREW I tend to quote 5 days for simple puzzle games (basic menus/single game mode/sound/no multiplayer). However, this is taking into consideration I have an existing framework for doing this kind of port, and that I have done quite a few before so am aware of the many gotcha's. If you have never written BREW code before I would suggest it might take upto a month, and thats once your registered and have hardware to test on. Also be aware that when you get a handset to test on you are going to have to mail it to qualcomm to get it developer enabled (which can take a couple of weeks).

If you need a crash course, I would highly recomment this book. It covers BREW 1.0 (we're upto BREW 3.0.1 now), but its still relevent. You will probably end up using BREW 1.1 or 2.0 anyway to target a larger portion of the market.

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this