Tokamak and Newton. Can't find tutorials!

Started by
4 comments, last by grhodes_at_work 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello.. I wanna use a Physics Engine in my Game. One of them: Tokamak Newton ODE I search the web and find Tokamak very good and also Some tutorials for it. A lot of people said me to use Newton. But I can not find Any tutorials in the web for using newton. Anyone has some? I want the most accurate Physics Engine (fro this 3) The games that will use it will be A First Person Shooter and A MMORPG game (I will never make a racing game :P ) what you suggest to use? if you also suggest newton the can someone tell were I can find tutorials? thanks In advance!
Advertisement
I believe there are at least some samples and basic documentation for ODE. I haven't looked at the others. Keep in mind that these are either engines that were developed by a hobbyist in his/her spare time or minimally funded commercial companies. The engine developers likely haven't had time to develop great documentation or tutorials. So you have very little from the authors. AND, to make matters worse, unlike, say HTML or Java, there are relatively few people in the world actually using real-time physics engines. So, there's not likely to be anyone working hard to put out tutorials at all. Maybe you can create one?

I would suggest that you look at the NovodeX engine (see Forum FAQ listing). Its a commercial engine, with better documentation than the ones you listed. It also can be used for FREE for noncommercial projects. The folks at Epic, who make the Unreal FPS game engine, are using NovodeX.

NovodeX
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
There a few tutorials over at Code Sampler for the Tokamak physics SDK.
Life is all about expression, so express yourself.
www.physicsclassroom.com has some newton in there. Over in the tutorials section in Newton's Laws. Not exactly a programming site, but it'll help a little bit.
I think he was referring to: to Newton Game Dynamics

I don’t think many people have written tutorials for it yet. There is one I know off for the Irrlich engine here: Tutorial

However I disagree with grhodes, the Newton engine does come with plenty of documentation and tutorials with the SDK. Also they provide lots of online help and support on their website. Perhaps grhodes was making a wild speculation since he also said he never use neither Newton nor Tokamak.

Newton and Tokamak are totally FREE to commercial and non commercial use.
Roberto
Quote:Original post by Roberto Salcedo
However I disagree with grhodes, the Newton engine does come with plenty of documentation and tutorials with the SDK. Also they provide lots of online help and support on their website. Perhaps grhodes was making a wild speculation since he also said he never use neither Newton nor Tokamak.

He heh, :). You caught me. My statement was based on speculation--based on prior experience with other freeware middleware. I haven't used the engines, but I have looked at the websites. Compared with some of the commercial tools we use (which have dozens of full demos and small samples, thousands of pages of formal docs, and paid support forums), these seem a bit slim. But, perhaps not as bad as I imagined!
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement