DirectX9 GUI test

Started by
34 comments, last by MichaelT 19 years, 7 months ago
Mythar,

Very nice work, I'd have to say I prefer this over the sample GUI included with the DX9.0C SDK by far....it's cleaner and smoother overall.

It worked perfectly on my system with no issues with lag whatsoever. My system is:

P4 3.2
Radeon 9800xt (Cat.4.8)

Keep up the good work.

Permafried-
Advertisement
Wow, very well done! I have just two simple suggestions: When a window's control has the text focus, like the main window when the user clicks on the edit box, that window should remain opaque. Right now you can chat on the main window while it's drawn at 50% transparency just by not having the mouse over it, which is weird. Also, clicking the ListView categories should sort by that category, and clicking it again should reverse the order. So if it by default lists the contents alphabetically by caption, clicking "Caption" should make it sort in reverse alphabetical order by caption.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Permafried- : thx :)

CGameProgrammer : all you have to do, is toggle the window property "TransparentOnComponentHasFocus" to make it stay non-transparent, when a component in the window has focus.
ill put in a sort later on, but right now, Im just checking to see how it performs on diffrent 3D cards :)

I realy need to know if its working on GeForce cards. As I only have an ATI card, I cant test it myself.

Please test it on GeForce :)

PS. I also need to know about the typedefs please :)
Tested on a GeForce 4 Ti 4200. No major graphic problems as shown above. Good work.
http://www.reepal.com
Got access violation too. I also tried the link of the updated dll but does not work.
Config: WinXP SP1, Intel xtreme agp4x/64MB, P4/2.4, 2GB ram.
If you're asking whether my card supports FMT_A8R8G8B8 for textures, then yes, it definately does -- I use them all the time. If for backbuffer format, then no, I think it only supports FMT_X8R8G8B8.
Holy Fuzz : That might be the poblem, the "windows" are created as D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT.

enigma1 : Im sorry, i made a small change in the .exe file, so to use the new .dll you need to download the ui_test.zip
Sorry, I forgot :(
Quote:Original post by Mythar
Holy Fuzz : Im not sure why you get the access violation, it might be that you simply run out of mem. or maby your card dose not surpport FMT_A8R8G8B8 or if it dose, it might not be surpported in the mode you try to run or it might be a bug that has to do with the vertex buffer pool.

Anyways, i removed the "hint" so it sould no longer cuz a bug on start up.

benstr + Etnu : I put in a new check for POW2, hopefully it will work on the GeForce card, otherwise im back at the bug I had when first making the GUI for DX7.
The bug was this : when using a POW2 texture on a GeForce card, with TLVERTEX, it mess up. why ?, I still have no idea.
For some resion it has to be non-POW2 to work correctly on GeForce.
It might have something to do with the AspectRatio, but someone on the board might know ?
(texture cuzing the bug was 256x32)
It might not be the same bug, but the result looks the same.

I also fixed the other bugs and internal GUI windows should now, resize correctly.

http://www.microtower.com/temp/ui_test.zip

Tried the new version and it looks just great now. I think I found another bug though. When I resize a window so part of it ends up outside the main window I get a "funny" effect again. Note that it only happens when you resize the window (tried moving one to part of it was outside the main window and that worked just fine).

Here's exactly what I do to get the error:
1) Resize a window so part of it is outside main window
2) Maximize the same window
3) Restore the same window (remove maximize)

Now I have something that looks like this:

Other than that, looks great :)

- Benny -
-Benny-
hi Benny, thx for testing it again :)

This new bug is realy wird, I cant get the bug to show up on my system. (I have ATI 9800 pro)
I tryed to resize, maximize and restore (as you wrote), but I cant provoke the bug. (no matter how mush or littel I resize)

Dose this happen every time you resize "outside" the main window ?, dose it matter how mush "outside" you resize ?
Ok, more information:

It looks like it depends on how big the window is. Let's use the "ListBox" window as our test window. Resize it by dragging the bottom of the window below the bottom of the main window (and do the maximize thing). If I do that I get the error. But if I do the same thing with the "Misc" window nothing happens (unless I do make it go way outside the main window).

After trying it out for a while I am fairly sure it is when the window you are resizing gets bigger than the main window, like if the main window is 1024 wide and the window you are resizing is > 1024. Sometimes I don't even have to maximize/restore to get the bug appear.

Hope that helps [smile]

- Benny -
-Benny-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement