• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Vertex Buffer Objects causing slowdowns

This topic is 4888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi!

I am trying to incorporate VBO's into my engine, however, when using them my framerate drops from 60-70 fps to 20-25 fps. I don't have a clue what's causing this.

My VBO setup is roughly the following:

glGenBuffersARB (1, &buffer);
glBindBufferARB (GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, buffer);
glBufferDataARB (GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, size, (GLfloat*)vertices, GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB);
glVertexPointer (3, GL_FLOAT, 0, NULL);

This is repeated for the other vertex-data (texture coordinates, tangent space, etc..) and the glGenBuffers and glBufferData aren't called when the data is already stored in a VBO.

Chunks of 790 vertices are used, so I don't think the slowdown is caused due to the lack of video memory.

The problem also isn't caused by the uploading of the data; when putting a glBindBufferARB (GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, 0); in before the glVertexPointer and sending (GLfloat*)vertices instead of NULL, there is no slowdown, while the data is still being uploaded.

I have a GeForce 4 MX 440 and I am using the NVidia drivers (version 61.11).

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. [smile]

EDIT: It appears to be a bug in the NVidia drivers; it appears in 6106 and 6111, but not in 5336. So I filed a bug-report to NVidia. [smile] [Edited by - FroZtY on September 2, 2004 6:01:09 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement