OpenGL or SDL?

Started by
12 comments, last by Toadhead 19 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games, including the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power."

Simple DirectMedia Layer supports Linux, Windows, BeOS, MacOS Classic, MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX. There is also code, but no official support, for Windows CE, AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, NetBSD, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, and SymbianOS.

SDL is written in C, but works with C++ natively, and has bindings to several other languages, including Ada, Eiffel, Java, Lua, ML, Perl, PHP, Pike, Python, and Ruby.

This is from the SDL webpage. Should give you a good idea what SDL is. Hope that helps.

Grellin
Global Developers Union
"If you are not willing to try, you will never succeed!"GrellinC++ Game Programming
Advertisement
I already saw this, I checked the site alot and also downloaded the development stuff and I compiler some SDL test programs with graphics etc. and it compiles and runs so it works, I can start learning it and use it lol.

Btw, DaemonMagus, SDL is simple to learn and use, so it's ore easey to make a window in SDL than in OpenGL and thats the reason you can better make windows in SDL that in OpenGL.
And I asked the same as you did: Can you use one of the library's indepentdantly to make good programs or do you realy need both of them? I dunno how poerfull SDL is...
SDL is a 2D library, OpenGL is a 3D library. Simple as that.
Yes.. so I'm able to make 2D programsjust with SDL, no need for OpenGL :/

I will first learn SDL and than OpenGL. SDL looks fun lol :P
Finaly I can use grapics in my programs :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement