Getting into the game industry...

Started by
18 comments, last by corrington_j 19 years, 7 months ago
Is it worth it? My biased answer as someone who left a lucrative programming job with 20 years experience to be come a game programmmer is hell yeah. But only if you are doing it because you like games and they are your heart and soul. If you don't eat, sleep, and spend the time you aren't playing games thinking about games, think about a different career.
Advertisement
I don't think the soul thing is a problem. I cried when I found out Half-Life 2 was pre-loading lol.
Those model's look alot like the ones from the Modern Warfare Total Conversion Mod from MOHAA.

I think that you should continue to sharpen your skills. If you are that good at 13, then you should have no problem when it actually hits the fan. Good luck!
gib.son
13? 15? It will be a long time before you need to worry about a career! Most people don't graduate from college and start working until they are 22 or so.

For now, just worry about getting good grades and learning about things you are interested in, and all the usual high school stuff.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by JohnBolton
13? 15? It will be a long time before you need to worry about a career! Most people don't graduate from college and start working until they are 22 or so.

For now, just worry about getting good grades and learning about things you are interested in, and all the usual high school stuff.

Girls are pretty neat, too.
Only if they are characters in games.
Consider taking college classes. If you can afford it, there are community colleges that will let you take individual classes on programming ect. without being a highschool grad. You don't have to be a full time student. Might even want to wait until you can drive but nobody said you can only go to college when your 18+. You could start a website and get a taste for the industry and maybe make a rep for yourself.

BTW, I think you're right about your concern for money. It's something to consider because when you get my age you start worrying about the rest of your life and how you will pay for it.
about modeling, although what you've done is a good start (and even more impressive because you're 13), modeling objects like guns and such doesn't require any particular skill IMHO. try organic (and more precisely human) modeling.
and I second what DaemonMagus said, register to CGtalk, post your work, ask for comments & crits, be part of the comunity, others will help you improve.
I used to do modelling. Then I got too old.
First of all nice models. If you are making those at 13, and keep progressing you will have no problem finding a job. Just remember, you are only 13 and dont need to plan out your whole life yet. Have fun and do what you enjoy, you have a lot of time to choose a career. Hopefully you wont choose based on money, because the average person works 40+ hours a week, and it is far better to enjoy that time then to make a lot of money you don't even have the time to spend.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement