Getting into the game industry...

Started by
18 comments, last by corrington_j 19 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I'm 13 and I've been playing games since I was 5. About 3 years ago I got the idea that I could make games for a living. And, after searching around the internet and learning the basics of how to create a game I got interested in C++ but, later I saw someone post a model somewhere and it hit me that I wanted to model. Lately I've been hearing people saying how it's not worth it getting into the game industry because it doesn't pay enough and to get hired by a company that DOES pay you'd need to be extremely talented. That got me thinking if I should be still doing this because I've been modeling for about 6 months and I still can't make anything truly impressive. For those of you who didn't see my work in the MONGOLIAN WAR thread here are the links: http://pictures34.bravehost.com/render4.jpg http://pictures34.bravehost.com/ak1.jpg I know I'll improve within the next year or so but I don't think I can cut it at this pace. Infact, I've been considering going into investment because my brother has made about 20,000 dollars in 4 months from a good program. Sounds good no? But, I also know that if I get good enough at modeling I can also make that kind of money. Even more if the game I'm involved in becomes a hit. I'm kind of confused about what I should do...
Advertisement
I'm continually perplexed by people who chose their career based on how much money the think they can make. As long as you're earning enough to live well enough off, whats the difference?

Besides, you don't have to make any kind of decisions like that for at least another 4 years, so just do whats enjoyable at the moment. [grin]
If you enjoy modeling do it. Your only 13 the job market for the game industry will probably change alot before you finish post-secondary. Who knows if that will be a good or bad thing but if you practice enough you can create excelent models by the time you graduate so you shouldn't have too many problems. You have a few years to become an exceptional modeler, (the kind the big companies hire)

Basicly your young enough that you have time to improve if you work hard enough.
I just want to experience life. If I have JUST enough money to pay my bills when I grow up wtf could I do? Go to Hawaii every decade? Nah man I wanna do everything I can. And I can with the right amount of money.

But other than that, thanks guys.
Seriously, that's the best advice. Right now, do what you enjoy. If you enjoy modelling (and, if I say do so, your models look really good. You'll need to get into texturing at some point, though, and that's the real beast in my opinion. Course, that might be because I'm rather artistically challenged ;) Anyway, if you enjoy modelling, keep working at it. If nothing else, you can always do game development for fun as an indie, and I know that there are a lot of teams that would welcome a good modeller. Anyway, just keep it up!
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
I think if it is what you are passionate about, dont let the numbers, or the naysayers get in your way. You can succeed if you are willing to apply yourself.

Just remember that unless you are extreemly lucky, you will usually not succeed the first time.

Keep working to improve your modelling, and you will be exceptional at it. I think the pictures you posted are of pretty good quality.

Another good idea is to try and get to know as many people in the industry as you can. Perhaps one day, if they know your work they will come to you. It would also be a great benefit when you went to a job interview, if you were already friends with the CEO of the company. :)

Keep a portfolio of all the work that you have done as well, and try to get skills in a range of things.. modelling monsters, people, vehcles, weapons... animating, texturing, etc.. you have plenty of time at the moment, eventually you can learn it all...

Try to do at least an hours work each day on your modelling, no matter what. You'd be surprised how much you build up your skills :)
Thanks. I'll continue modeling then :)

I just hope it's worth it!
Here's another thing to consider: it takes years and years to become a great artist, but it only takes like a year (or less) of business school to become a soulless money-seeking businessman. So if you decide later that you want to follow your brother into the investment world, you can. For now, stick with the art :)
I'm 15 and I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been modelling for about 9 months and doing c++ for a couple months. Just keep working at it and you will become among the best. You have a pretty big advantage because of how early you're starting and you shouldn't stop because the job market may or may not be unstable in 5-9 years. Check out www.polycount.com, www.cgtalk.com and www.cgchat.com if you haven't already. I found them to be extremely beneficial in my progress in modelling. Join in the challenges, show them your art, listen to their critiques, and critique some of their work. Just being part of the community will help you because of how influential their work is and their knowledge of the industry will also help you out.
I'm somewhat in the same boat also, maybe a row boat. I'm new to the forums, but I am concerned about the gaming field. My friend is into game programming a lot, he's wanting to make his own company out of high school + college. I'm starting to help him with projects and learn under him. He knows C++ and a lot of DBPro, he used DBPro to make some pretty cool stuff. He wants to use C++ from now on, so he's switching over to it. My main concern, is that I don't know if this is something I want to do as a career. I really like it, but, I mean, I want something to be able to fall back on if something didn't work out. I'm 16 and I get told by friends from how much I plan this out and want to accel, that I will be fine. I just think that what if I wanted to be a computer tech, or a normal programmer, or maybe a white hat/net admin. I really like what I've gotten into, and I understand that it would be an industry like any other. It would be a job. I guess my question is, is game programming worth it as a job? (I know opinions will be biased :) )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement