when to use DLLs

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 7 months ago
I'm about to start making a game and was wondering what I should put into DLLs and what I should leave in the EXE. Should I split DLLs just like files and have many of them, so if I want to update any part of the game chances are the download needed wouldn't be too large? Please ust give me all the info you have. This is my first main project and was just wondering how I should go about it. Thanks for any info Tera_Dragon Edit: Sorry, I posted this in the wrong topic. I meant to post it in the game programming topic.
____________________________________________________________Programmers Resource Central
Advertisement
When to use DLLS:

1. Never, under any circumstances

2. If your boss insists absolutely unshakably that you have to

3. If you're clinically insane... mooo baaa wibble I'm a fish...

Seriously, static libraries work the same, except require less effort to make them work and there are no additional issues surrounding them.

If you are worried about your .exe being too large, wait until it is first, then sort it out :)

Mark
Quote:
1. Never, under any circumstances

2. If your boss insists absolutely unshakably that you have to

3. If you're clinically insane... mooo baaa wibble I'm a fish...

Obviously, from an informed source.

the correct answer is, when you need to be able to link to code dynamicly, e.g. a plugable rendering interface.

the DLL is a very useful technology, wherein it's main drawback is loss of cross platform support.

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

Quote:Original post by EDI
wherein it's main drawback is loss of cross platform support.

If your just referring to PC cross-platform support (Windows, Linux, MacOS being the main contenders) then that isn't true. Linux and MacOS have dynamic libraries as well and it takes no more to provide cross-platform support than it would for any other system-dependant code (such as windowing). Hell, if anything it's easier than getting cross-platform windowing :)

Having said that, I don't know whether consoles support dynamic libraries. Probably the XBox, *maybe* the PS2 and GameCube but beyond that I'd be surprised if they do.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Moved.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Original post by joanusdmentia
Having said that, I don't know whether consoles support dynamic libraries. Probably the XBox, *maybe* the PS2 and GameCube but beyond that I'd be surprised if they do.

No, none of them do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement