Internet connections?

Started by
3 comments, last by Evil Steve 19 years, 7 months ago
I know this doesn't really pertain to programming persay, but I was curious and figured you guys would know the answer all the same. How do companies provide internet connections to you? I mean I understand they have to have a server of some kind that is in the world wide web network, but why can't anyone just take a server and join on that network without any third party connection help?
Advertisement
This should give you a nice primer.

How Stuff Works is great =)
Was interesting, but I still don't understand.... if we are all an inter connected network, how come a random person can't connect to the internet backbone or to the internet itself without a third party?
Well, the internet IS the "third parties". Without their cables and routers, there's no internet. They probably sell access to eachother too, just like other customers (but with special conditions and prices of course).
Because you'd need a way to connect to it - with a horribly expensive connection. ISPs own at least one of these, and their customers use the ISP as a sort of proxy to get onto the main line.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement