GTK+ / GDK or SDL?

Started by
14 comments, last by kRogue 19 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by kendallemm
Quote:Original post by bobstevens
Qt is probably the best but it's encumbered by a terrible license, whereas wxWidgets is nearly as good and is LGPL.

QT is GPL. Is that so terrible? GTK is just fine, too -- especially if you're writing in c, though I'd like to get an idea of what you dislike about it. I'm not partial to any particular gui library - usually if I need buttons I do web stuff or use Tk ;)

KB

Qt isn't GPL, it's QPL.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by eedok
Qt isn't GPL, it's QPL.

it's dual licenced for linux, GPL and QPL. if you write a GPL-application, you can use QT under GPL. That's how KDE was developed.

For small GUIs using GTK and its Python Bindings works great. you can even mix it with C/C++ code (bindings can be generated automatically with SWIG). That way all your GUI code can be scripted in python.
yeah QT is just about as easy as windows .net forms programming but it's even better cuz it works on mac,linux and windows unlike windows forms.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I haven't used Qt code in a long, long, long time.

Does it have a concept of containers yet?

And GTK definately does not suck.
For the GUI toolkit discussion I think that fltk is a very neat toolkit for cross platform programming. Or any kind of programming really ;) IMHO of course.

- Damage Incorporated.
I like fltk too, it is very easy to use and kind of minimilist (which I like) the only thing that bites is using fluid, fltk GUI maker... the source code editing sucks from within fluid... just my opinion though... sometimes the documentation leaves a touch to be deisred too... but is is straigh foward.. I went from knwing nothing to making a half desnt front end in a few days...
Close this Gamedev account, I have outgrown Gamedev.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement