programming gprs in j2me

Started by
5 comments, last by shmoove 19 years, 7 months ago
how to start programming through gprs in j2me? i've tried googling but to no avail...help. Thanks.
Advertisement
anyone? thanks.
Your question is not clear? Program through gprs?

What do you actually want to do Nomad?
well if you can explain your problem in more details, it will be eaiser to help............

hi, sorry for the vague question....

i wanted to know how to make a PC / server communicate with a j2me device...i think i should use sockets? but midp 1.0 devices don't officially support sockets...but i have a phone that has an option that says gprs, so i'm thinking this could be a replacement for sockets? or is my understanding wrong?

sorry for the poor english.

thanks in advance for whoever will help. :)
GPRS is a layer-2 (and 1 and 3?) protocol. It has nothing to do with sockets and such.
In J2ME the communication specifics are hidden away from the developer. You get a high level API, and the virtual machine takes care of all the details needed to make the connections (or to let you know that what you are trying isn't supported by throwing an exception).
Look at the javax.microedition.io.* package. There you can find all the classes you will need to perform the connection to servers. You're right about MIDP not having mandatory support for sockets. The only thing guaranteed to be supported is http. So you can start out by making HttpConnections. If the phone is a gprs phone then it will open those connections through gprs. Even though it isn't mandatory, many phones do support sockets. So it doesn't hurt to try opening a socket connection either.

shmoove

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement