Sound and networking

Started by
6 comments, last by Fibonacci One 19 years, 7 months ago
I just installed slackware on my computer and can already tell that I'm going to like it. However, there are two problems in the way. 1) First thing is I cannot get sound to work. I think the problem is something to do with the fact that I have two sound cards. One of them is built into the motherboard, the other is in a pci slot. I've tried plugging the speakers into both, but neither seems to work. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? 2) The second is, my school network requires me to go to a login page for me to access the internet. I know my network card works because I can access stuff on the network, but when I try to load the login page I get nothing. Obviously you can't go there unless you're at my school, but the page is https://resnet.tntech.edu. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I think I got the second one...I just need the first one for now.

Thanks
Have you tried running 'alsaconf' as root yet?
I'll give it a try...
no luck.

I don't get any error messages or anything. I just select the sound card, try to play something, and still hear nothing.
Does slack have discover? Or kudzu? I perfer Debian, simply because it's the best, but ya know, it's like women who stay in abusive relationships... ;P
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.
From my (limited) experience with Linux, it sounds as though you have your card on mute.

Try:
amixer set Master 100 unmute

Which will put the volume upto max, and unmute your card (specifically the Master channel).

HTH
In you're using KDE you can open Aumix. It's under multimedia on the "kbar" menu. If that doesn't work try searching at http://www.linuxquestions.org.

- Stephen

I just downloaded the libdvdcss and I am actually watching a dvd with linux (in xine). This linux stuff is finally starting to make sense!!
Thanks to all of you for your responses...I'll give them a try tomorrow when my roommate isn't sleeping.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement